• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was Enoch Powell right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damp Cave View Post
    ... discriminate in favour of our own people as is quite natural with ones progeny for instance.

?
    That's an interesting point.

1. Define "our own people".
    2. How does that work? So let's say I manage an analytics team for my private sector employer who are mainly responsible to their shareholders. I have a vacancy for a role that requires advanced mathematical skills and I have 2 candidates, one is "our own people" and the other is from China but is is much better qualified and experienced and legally entitled to work here. Are you suggesting I employ "our own people" candidate?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

You take the whiz mathematician.

It's a skill we need in limited quantities.

Comment

Employ me

Better solution still.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          That's an interesting point.

1. Define "our own people".
          2. How does that work? So let's say I manage an analytics team for my private sector employer who are mainly responsible to their shareholders. I have a vacancy for a role that requires advanced mathematical skills and I have 2 candidates, one is "our own people" and the other is from China but is is much better qualified and experienced and legally entitled to work here. Are you suggesting I employ "our own people" candidate?
          "A British job for every British worker."

Gordon Brown a few weeks ago. Priceless.

Comment

Might have to consider how good the English is?

Even a mathematician needs a command of the lingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Damp Cave View Post
              It's a skill we need in limited quantities.
              Ok fair enough. Now assume I'm manager of a supermarket. There are 2 unskilled candidates for a shelf-stacker position. One is a Pole who speaks English well, has lived here 5 years and has excellent references and the other is "our own people" who has a patchy work history and has mainly been on the dole. Which one do I take?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ok fair enough. Now assume I'm manager of a supermarket. There are 2 unskilled candidates for a shelf-stacker position. One is a Pole who speaks English well, has lived here 5 years and has excellent references and the other is "our own people" who has a patchy work history and has mainly been on the dole. Which one do I take?
                Is this a puzzle.

Do you have the ask the hard working Pole to ask the lazy arsed Brit which one he would take and then take the opposite?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  From your beginners Latin Threaded? Nice irrelevant fragment of the Iliad to impress the audience?
                  You speak unskilfully: or, if your knowledge be more, it is much darkened in your malice.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    You speak unskilfully: or, if your knowledge be more, it is much darkened in your malice.
                    You speak pretentiously.

HTH
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

No contest

However we should make sure when more realistic choices come up that it is weighted towards the Brit. If we don't then the logical conclusion is we will replace everyone in the country with someone better, because there always is one better somewhere. Unless we give them a chance and reward employers for giving that chance our pool of 'feckless' will continue to grow and their support needs will still be there. So the job gets done by the Pole and we pay the Brit not to do it. As I said tweak the defective unit is cheaper than replacing the whole unit and still trying to maintain said defective at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X