• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man arrested over wi-fi 'theft'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wxman View Post
    I am trying to work out exactly which law this chap has broken

He was in a public place and was using a wireless signal that was open and on display. I think that it could be even argued that the owner of the WiFi router was negligent in allowing his open signal to bleed over the boundary of his property.

As a parallel would I be breaking the law if I (standing outside on the street) listening to music that was coming from a house through an open window??

Or again, how about standing on the street and watching a TV screen that was on display on a shop window??
    Or how about reaching in through the open window of my house (assuming it fronts onto the street), picking up my phone and using it to make a call at no cost to yourself? Isn't that a closer analogy?

(I still think arresting him is stupid, though.)

Comment

It's in the Article: Dishonestly obtaining free internet access is an offence under the Communications Act 2003 and a potential breach of the Computer Misuse Act.

Comment

"reaching in through the open window of my house"

I would guess that that would be tresspass as I would have to come on to your property in order to do that - if you ran an extension lead from your house and had the phone on display on the street then you "are offering a service" - which I would take!

This I feel goes deeper than simple obtaining an internet connection dishonestly as I would not have to do anything dishonest in order to obtain a conection - for example giving false names or bank account details.

The lawers are going to have a feild day with this one - and I think that the "internet thief" will come out on top.
        Last edited by wxman; 23 August 2007, 11:00.
        www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

"reaching in through the open window of my house"

I would guess that that would be tresspass as I would have to come on to your property in order to do that - if you ran an extension lead from your house and had the phone on display on the street then you "are offering a service" - which I would take!
          For a terraced house with no front yard (i.e. 95% of houses in my neighbourhood) and the window open you could stand on the pavement.

Comment

But the 'thief' didn't reach into the house.

The Wi-Fi signal was sent to him in his car....

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post

Agreed - this I why I think that the chap will get off ...
              www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

My ha'penny worth:

The bloke wot got caught: He should get a life and a 3G card. Talk about nickel and diming...

The law: This action is typical of the low-hanging fruit mentality pervading our police force. They focus on easy stuff (e.g. speeding, litter-dropping, and now unsecured Wifi), because it's an easy nick, looks good on their score sheet and their careers. Difficult stuff (e.g. rape, murder, theft, GBH, fraud) is not focused on, in case the bobbies get hurt, or because there's too much paperwork involved, or because they don't have the funding to focus on the important stuff.

Great message for the law-breaking minority: you will get away with some stuff because we can't be bothered/don't have the money/your case looks too difficult to process.
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

So if he was sitting in his car and you left your house and took him your phone, which he then used, that would be the closest analogy!!!
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

As a parallel would I be breaking the law if I (standing outside on the street) listening to music that was coming from a house through an open window??

In this case the house owner would be breaking the law for making a public broadcast of music, assuming that is they didn't have the neccessary license. I can't remember which one it is, but we had to have one in our shop even when listening to the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                      So if he was sitting in his car and you left your house and took him your phone, which he then used, that would be the closest analogy!!!

Don't think so, becuase the 'owner' of the signal didn't intentionally give it to the 'thief'!!!

Personally I think the 'owner' is a fool for not securing his network, but this does not excuse what the 'theif' did.

I just don't think anyone has come up with an apt analogy yet.....

Comment

Working...
                      X