• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's in Your Cupboard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The police guidance on this is lame. Friend of mine had someone break in whilst he was upstairs and they nicked their keys and stole both cars. The police advice was just to let them take the cars and not have a go.

Personally I think people should be encouraged to have 'deterrents' in the house to make these little sh1t-bags think twice about what could happen to them if caught.

I have a hickory sledge-hammer handle hidden in my wardrobe and I wouldn't think twice about battering any burglar I found in our house. Yes, a burglar could use it on me but I'd get first swing in and I think that puts the odds hugely in my favour.

A friend in Alabama was advised by the sheriff to shoot any intruders on her land but make sure some part of the burglar was in the house before calling the police. That's possibly a bit extreme.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
      Following items easily and quickly obtainable in the case of a confrontation:

Claw hammer
      Ice axe
      Ice hockey stick
      Stanley knife
      Scalpel
      Heavy maglite
      Aerosol + lighter

Don't keep them by the bedside as I'd kill myself if I sleepwalk.

My dad has an original 17th Century Katana and a wakizashi sword hanging on the wall outside his bedroom, along with a sabre, a rapier and an asagai.

We'd both use them. All of them.
      Bloody hell RH – that’s some collection you have there mate!

Comment

Although I have a small collection of weaponry (Egyptian ceremonial dagger, ceremonial Athamé, Rapier & small ceremonial short sword), I wouldn't dream of using them for fear of getting banged up for 15 years. I *might* brandish one to scare them away.

To be honest, the best defense is not to have anything worth nicking in the first place.

If you park an expensive car on the drive, have expensive things in your house, they are only going to get nicked eventually.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

still nothing I can disclose...
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

I wonder what would happen if someone used their weapon to injure a policeman who was raiding their house, honestly believing it was a robber. The police have a defence that they honestly believed a man was armed when shooting (the de Menezes case and Stanley, the man with the table leg). So presumably it would work to other way? Or maybe not, now I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg
              I wonder what would happen if someone used their weapon to injure a policeman who was raiding their house, honestly believing it was a robber. The police have a defence that they honestly believed a man was armed when shooting (the de Menezes case and Stanley, the man with the table leg). So presumably it would work to other way? Or maybe not, now I think about it.
              I won't stop for unmarked Police cars. I simply drive to the nearest Police station. It's happened twice when I've been in the Porsche and the Police although irate do understand when you inform them.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                I won't stop for unmarked Police cars. I simply drive to the nearest Police station. It's happened twice when I've been in the Porsche and the Police although irate do understand when you inform them.
                Do you press your oil slick button?

Comment

Working...
                X