• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's most dangerous roads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane
    I've never seen anybody do that ... why would you indicate right whilst in the right lane ... is it some kind of signal to the person in front to pull out of the way?
    Its a european thing (obviously left). You are required to let faster drivers past in most EC countries so drivers put their outside indicator on to show they have nowhere left to go so you should consider pulling in to the next available gap.
    It does lead to idiots tailgateing when you are justifiably passing something else and have no safe pull in though.
    Mostly it works OK and you dont generally get people like shoes holding everybody up (it does happen).
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I am quite surprised that the Snake and Woodhead passes are not on there.

I can see the Woodhead from my house and there are often crashes on there, and the Snake is closed a few times a month due to some unfortunate soul.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        Its a european thing (obviously left). You are required to let faster drivers past in most EC countries so drivers put their outside indicator on to show they have nowhere left to go so you should consider pulling in to the next available gap.
        It does lead to idiots tailgateing when you are justifiably passing something else and have no safe pull in though.
        Mostly it works OK and you dont generally get people like shoes holding everybody up (it does happen).
        I agree with this. Many motorways in France for example are 2 lanes, not 3, yet the right lane is often more free for passing traffic. Maybe the rules are simpler and can be interpreted correctly by all, rather than forcing people like shoes to make up new ones for their own benefit. Would 2 x 2 lane motorways be better than 1 x 4 lane? Discuss...

Comment

Originally posted by spiderlover
          God there really are some idiots about!

I have been driving for 20 years and I have never been in a skid on the road, only on the track.

Oil? = Look ahead and you'll see it, if you don't you're going too fast
          Snow = that's the white stuff from the sky - slow down
          Wet weather = thats the watery stuff from the sky - slow down

It's no wonder people are dying in droves if there are people like you on the road who aren't aware of the world beyond the end of their bonnet!

As for letting go of the controls - f***ing hell, I hope I'm never near you on the road. I teach performance driving every weekend and I can assure you that letting go of the controls in a skid is suicide unless you are about to hit an immovable object and you want to save your wrists!
          Well I too have been driving for 20 years I have never had an accident, and if you say you have never skidded you are lying. Remember when the roads froze around london a few years ago, people were coming off the road left right and centre, I suppose your special techiques added some magical griping power to your tyres?

I guess you wouldn't get on too well with this guy..
          http://www.creativecarcontrol.co.uk/managegrip.htm
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 June 2007, 10:13.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba
            I agree with this. Many motorways in France for example are 2 lanes, not 3, yet the right lane is often more free for passing traffic. Maybe the rules are simpler and can be interpreted correctly by all, rather than forcing people like shoes to make up new ones for their own benefit. Would 2 x 2 lane motorways be better than 1 x 4 lane? Discuss...
            No, because you'd get SockPuppet and his mate inching their trucks past one another for miles on end with a huge queue of cars behind them. Happens all the time on the M11 and M26.

This frustrates the car drivers and makes them more liable to drive aggressively when they finally get past.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bagpuss]Well I too have been driving for 20 years I have never had an accident, and if you say you have never skidded you are lying. Remember when the roads froze around london a few years ago, people were coming off the road left right and centre, I suppose your special techiques added some magical griping power to your tyres?

QUOTE]

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of a skid - in my mind a skid is a loss of grip leading to the vehicle being out of control and not responding to steering, braking and throttle inputs. In that sense I can assure you I have never been in a "skid".

I have however encountered times when grip has been reduced due to snow or ice but I have never been in a situation where I have not been in control of the car and unable to change direction and speed or indeed stop in a controlled manner.

Here's to semantics.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut
                No, because you'd get SockPuppet and his mate inching their trucks past one another for miles on end with a huge queue of cars behind them. Happens all the time on the M11 and M26.

This frustrates the car drivers and makes them more liable to drive aggressively when they finally get past.
                But there are large lumps of european 2 laners where trucks are not allowed to pass and many are closed to wagons at weekends. (That is why they are all in the UK). Kinda makes up for it. I have been driving on the mainland for a number of years. You still get tailbacks, but not usualy for the truckers 10 mile pass.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                X