• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's most dangerous roads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Actaully I have a question for the advanced motorist. When overtaking they advise to pull out to see if overtaking is safe. What if you pulled out when it was unsafe?
    Then you crash.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      Then you crash.
      that would seem the case, surely it's better to wait until you can see without having to move out of lane
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        Then you crash.
        You just pull back in again.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          You just pull back in again.
          After you've crashed?

Seriously, you can see far enough to safely have a look and move back even if you're close behind another vehicle. You can't usually see far enough to complete the whole overtake.

Overtaking has become a bit of a lost art anyway. Hardly anyone seems to do it anymore.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6240288.stm
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
              I agree, Most people over-correct when steering into a skid. If you go on any performance driving course they will teach you the car is balanced to be neutral. By giving the car input you make matters worse. The best way is to put the car in neutral and let go of the controls, the car will correct itself. Of course the steering wheel shuffle brigade don't understand the physics of the situation. And the bolocks he wrote about never getting into a skid, never heard of oil on the road, snow, mud, wet weather?
              God there really are some idiots about!

I have been driving for 20 years and I have never been in a skid on the road, only on the track.

Oil? = Look ahead and you'll see it, if you don't you're going too fast
              Snow = that's the white stuff from the sky - slow down
              Wet weather = thats the watery stuff from the sky - slow down

It's no wonder people are dying in droves if there are people like you on the road who aren't aware of the world beyond the end of their bonnet!

As for letting go of the controls - f***ing hell, I hope I'm never near you on the road. I teach performance driving every weekend and I can assure you that letting go of the controls in a skid is suicide unless you are about to hit an immovable object and you want to save your wrists!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                Drive by the rules or get off the road.
                Just because everybody does it does not make it right.
                My point is that it is more sensible to take a pragmatic approach to driving and do what is reasonable at the time than to follow rules solely because 'thems the rules'. I would argue that the largest consideration when driving is what everyone else is doing. If they are breaking the rules constantly in a fairly consistent way then it is actually more dangerous to insist on your rule following in conflict with what everyone else is doing.

Try sticking rigidly to the rules in Italy, then try driving like the locals do. You'll soon learn which one gets you more safely from A to B.

Pragmatic driving please, not pedantic mindless rule following with a side order of self righteousness. You're impressing no-one but yourself.

Comment

Don't you just love it when you're 'making good progress' down the right hand lane and you get some flash knob indicating right while bearing down on your tailgate like he's got some kind of license to break the speed limit. Well I've got a big gas-guzzling, old 4x4 with a nice chunky towbar so I whack the old anchors on, signal left and ever so slowly pull out of the way. Heh, heh, heh !

Comment

Originally posted by The AntiChrist
                    Don't you just love it when you're 'making good progress' down the right hand lane and you get some flash knob indicating right while bearing down on your tailgate like he's got some kind of license to break the speed limit. Well I've got a big gas-guzzling, old 4x4 with a nice chunky towbar so I whack the old anchors on, signal left and ever so slowly pull out of the way. Heh, heh, heh !
                    A new sport, someone call the Olympic committee!
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by The AntiChrist
                      you get some flash knob indicating right while bearing down on your tailgate like he's got some kind of license to break the speed limit
                      I've never seen anybody do that ... why would you indicate right whilst in the right lane ... is it some kind of signal to the person in front to pull out of the way?

Comment

Working...
                      X