• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's most dangerous roads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoes
    Im a middle lane hogger! But I have my reasons. In my experience most sections of motorway have 'tram lines' along the left hand lane where heavy lorries have caused indentations over time. Driving along these can have my car jumping in and out of these grooves, it's far safer to stay in the next lane when it isn't busy.

What IS dangerous are the self righteous mindless rule followers who notice me in the middle lane and think its clever to cut right across the front of my car presumably in an attempt to show me the error of my ways.

I think they are saying 'What you're doing is dangerous and to demonstrate this I am going to swerve across all 3 lanes twice and nearly collide with you instead of just sensibly undertaking you'. Im always impressed.
    I will undertake you - hopefully you'll get the message
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Im a middle lane hogger! But I have my reasons. In my experience most sections of motorway have 'tram lines' along the left hand lane where heavy lorries have caused indentations over time. Driving along these can have my car jumping in and out of these grooves, it's far safer to stay in the next lane when it isn't busy.
      So you're not just asleep then?

If we're saying that's a valid excuse, then the law should be changed to allow overtaking on the left.

There's parts of the M25 that are five lanes, and often you see the middle laners deciding that lane 4 is the appropriate one to use when not overtaking. So then everybody else has to use the outside lane to get past. Five lanes, only two of them being used.

What IS dangerous are the self righteous mindless rule followers who notice me in the middle lane and think its clever to cut right across the front of my car presumably in an attempt to show me the error of my ways.
      People will never learn if you don't show them the error of their ways.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        I will undertake you - hopefully you'll get the message
        Good, I have no problem with being undertaken. Often it's sensible. Im more impressed with a driver that does what is sensible for the situation rather than blindly sticking to a rule for the sake of it.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
          So you're not just asleep then?

If we're saying that's a valid excuse, then the law should be changed to allow overtaking on the left.
          No I'm not just asleep. Some middle lane drivers are, not all are. I believe the law should be changed to allow undertaking as well as overtaking. It works in America, we have a mirror on each side, it's not hard! It will also mean the roadspace is being used more effectively and so will reduce congestion. How often have you see a line of traffic in the far right overtaking lane waiting to get past one another?

Originally posted by VectraMan
          People will never learn if you don't show them the error of their ways.
          I teach by example.

Comment

I have missed several posts because I skipped ahead to the last page - but I think that drivers should take an annual test to see if they're roadworthy just like their cars have to.
            I know this will give more money to a government who don't use what they already have effectively but at least the roads would be marginally safer - always supposing that the test is a real test and not just some fund-raising exercise!
            Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 4 July 2007, 07:26.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I believe the law should be changed to allow undertaking as well as overtaking.
              Perhaps people should learn to use their indicators before we allow undertaking as well as overtaking. At least you can predict when somebody's likely to change lanes to the right by examining the traffic ahead of them. Predicting when somebody will change lanes to the left is much more tricky.

Comment

No I'm not just asleep<snip>
                You may have a point, but untill the law changes you must drive to the rules and not to what you think is best, that or give up driving untill the rules suit you.
                You are an unpredictable danger to other road users. How are we supposed to know which rules you will be using?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
                  Perhaps people should learn to use their indicators before we allow undertaking as well as overtaking. At least you can predict when somebody's likely to change lanes to the right by examining the traffic ahead of them. Predicting when somebody will change lanes to the left is much more tricky.
                  If the rule is "drive on the left except when overtaking" should you even have to indicate your intention to move left?

Comment

How often have you see a line of traffic in the far right overtaking lane waiting to get past one another?
                    Every single morning.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can we do roundabouts next...

Comment

Working...
                      X