• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Victoria Cross Gurkha denied entry to UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victoria Cross Gurkha denied entry to UK

I went to see me mum last night, and she was really upset about this story in the paper:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...name_page.html

Apparently an 83yr old Gurkha has been refused permission to come to see out his last few years in the UK with his comrades, for 'not demonstrating close enough ties to the UK'.

He fought for 18 years for us, receiving the VC, and now lives in rural Nepal where he lives in a shack on meagre pension. He has to be carried in a basket for miles to get medicine.

Unbelievable.

That really is ******* shocking

Comment

Wasn't there some big hoo-haa a few years back regarding the Ghurkas.

I forget what it was about - somthing like pension rights etc. - which ended up getting sorted.

Comment

My dad fought with the Gurkhas, I think it was in Burma.

He always said they were the most loyal, dedicated fighters he'd ever known. And that we wouldn't have had the same amount of success if it wasn't for them.

The way this country has treated them since the war has been a national disgrace, and it makes me angry each time I hear about this sort of treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy
          Wasn't there some big hoo-haa a few years back regarding the Ghurkas.

I forget what it was about - somthing like pension rights etc. - which ended up getting sorted.
          I believe they won the rights to equivalent pensions to British servicemen, but that this was not backdated to include certain long-retired Gurkhas.

Comment

I personally have met Gurkhas and Sherpas who now live all over the world and they are very loyal people and integrate well within all communities.

This is just typical "tick the box" mentality that the homeoffice and immigration has in this country. People who shouldn't be let in, get let in and vice versa.

Comment

That is truly disgusting.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Thanks for clarifying OG.

Agree, the Gurkhas have been 'shafted' by the powers that be on many occassions.

Comment

These guys aren't your run-of-the-mill economic migrants. They laid their life on the line for us, and by all accounts they were some of the fiercest and bravest fighters among all the allies. This geezer in the story even won a feckin VC, and you cannot get any better than that.

And they question his commitment to the UK...

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                    These guys aren't your run-of-the-mill economic migrants. They laid their life on the line for us, and by all accounts they were some of the fiercest and bravest fighters among all the allies. This geezer in the story even won a feckin VC, and you cannot get any better than that.

And they question his commitment to the UK...
                    Yeah exactly, how can someone who was awarded the highest military award have no commitment to the country?? It's a complete and utter ******* shambles.

Comment

Working...
                    X