• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Victoria Cross Gurkha denied entry to UK"

Collapse

• interested
    replied
    Write to your MP

MP

Takes about 1 min

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    This is a ploy used by the Government in order to show they are doing something about immigration. Rather that tackle the real problem about some of the scum that are allowed in the UK the Government will pick on a person of good standing and them make a lot of publicity by disallowing entry. A similar tactic is used by local Government; if they complain that they have not enough finance they will be forced to make cutbacks and what do they choose in order get maximum publicity? They cut back on the care for old people and not the single Asian mother's nappy coordinator.
    That is absolutely correct. I know that the immigration people are targeting overseas care workers from countries like th Phillippines. The work permits only allow supervisors to work here yet many of them do not (nor wish to) work as supervisors. This loophole is being clamped down on as it is a very easy target from which they can get some good publicity. Never mind that we are desperate for care workers and that these people work very hard.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    This is a ploy used by the Government in order to show they are doing something about immigration. Rather that tackle the real problem about some of the scum that are allowed in the UK the Government will pick on a person of good standing and them make a lot of publicity by disallowing entry. A similar tactic is used by local Government; if they complain that they have not enough finance they will be forced to make cutbacks and what do they choose in order get maximum publicity? They cut back on the care for old people and not the single Asian mother's nappy coordinator.
    Hmmm - I'm not sure this is a story the govrernment would want to promote for the obvious reasons - it clearly won't show them as tough on immigration but will make them look like the incompetent heartless @rseholes they are.

Out of interest, which local council has a single Asain mothers' nappy coordinator? Sounds like a bizarre prioritisation of council tax payers' money to me when as you say, social care budgets are being squeezed. Incidentally (and this is about cut services, not your point about prioritising single Asian mothers' nappy coordinators) most of the pressure on council budgets comes from cuts from the central government grant to local councils, which I believe, makes up most of councils' income. It's an unpleasamt NL trick to cut local services by proxy and blame local councils.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Exactly and a very astute observation

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Expats in commonwealth countries have their pensions frozen in time.
    Maybe thats why he is getting the same low pension

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    How is his pension only £132 per month?
    I think it's because he lives in Nepal. I think they're paid what is judged a fair amount for where they live. (This is what I think I remember hearing).

In his case he has to borrow money from his neighbours to pay for his medicine, so obviously the system works fine...

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Cos you keep dodging IR35 (which, IIRC, you said you'd gladly pay) - there's not enough in the fund...

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    he should be flown over, first class, and given full red carpet treatment on arrival.

poor old sod.
    Seconded! Shameful treatment.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I went to see me mum last night, and she was really upset about this story in the paper:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...name_page.html

Apparently an 83yr old Gurkha has been refused permission to come to see out his last few years in the UK with his comrades, for 'not demonstrating close enough ties to the UK'.

He fought for 18 years for us, receiving the VC, and now lives in rural Nepal where he lives in a shack on meagre pension. He has to be carried in a basket for miles to get medicine.

Unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    he should be flown over, first class, and given full red carpet treatment on arrival.

poor old sod.
    Not only that...but move some of the feckless scum out of their cushy council mansions so he can have a house!

Then again, this is the same country that denied some servicemen the right to remain here at the end of their visa's because they had been out of the country for more than 6 months...never mind the fact they had been out of the country fighting for Queen and Country!

Maybe the old codger should have said he was muslim innit?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    This stuff really gets my goat.

Good old Tony wants to send all our young soldiers into battle for no reason, but his government won't look after old war hero's who laid thier life on the line for us in the past. It's just sickening, I can't wait to get out of this country.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied

poor old sod.

Leave a comment:

• Barriebazg
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    These guys aren't your run-of-the-mill economic migrants. They laid their life on the line for us, and by all accounts they were some of the fiercest and bravest fighters among all the allies. This geezer in the story even won a feckin VC, and you cannot get any better than that.

And they question his commitment to the UK...
    Yeah exactly, how can someone who was awarded the highest military award have no commitment to the country?? It's a complete and utter ******* shambles.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    These guys aren't your run-of-the-mill economic migrants. They laid their life on the line for us, and by all accounts they were some of the fiercest and bravest fighters among all the allies. This geezer in the story even won a feckin VC, and you cannot get any better than that.

And they question his commitment to the UK...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X