• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would you buy this property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to look at an 'investment' property last year.
    It had a big crack down the outside of the building. The estate agent didn't think it would be that costly (after all he was an expert in sales). I took a builder friend and he advised the only fix was to knock half of the house down i.e. spend 10s of thousands, certainly more than house price plus maximum profit.

Someone else bought it and covered the crack with chipboard. I'm sure this would have tricked any surveyor
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

She can come and give me a tongue lashing anytime.
      "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        Someone else bought it and covered the crack with chipboard. I'm sure this would have tricked any surveyor
        Chipboard cladding. Very nice.
        "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          Why not buy some shares. Shares don't need much maintenance. I painted mine last week, and I reckon that should be it for the next 10 years.
          He's right, my Europe fund has just gone up 12% in six months and I didn't even have to knock through...

Comment

If you can get the subsidence reflected in the asking price, pay cash (cos mortgage will be a problem with subsidence even if properly repaired which can be impossible), then patch it up as cheaply as possible, then let the rooms individually as an HMO remembering the local authority rules it is possible it might generate a decent income on the capital deployed. But don't expect any uplift in capital value.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              But don't expect any uplift in capital value.
              More like a sinking feeling as his 2 up 2 down become 4 down tit's up.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
                More like a sinking feeling as his 2 up 2 down become 4 down tit's up.

Comment

forget houses buy stuff like this

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X