• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "would you buy this property"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    forget houses buy stuff like this

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    More like a sinking feeling as his 2 up 2 down become 4 down tit's up.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    But don't expect any uplift in capital value.
    More like a sinking feeling as his 2 up 2 down become 4 down tit's up.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    If you can get the subsidence reflected in the asking price, pay cash (cos mortgage will be a problem with subsidence even if properly repaired which can be impossible), then patch it up as cheaply as possible, then let the rooms individually as an HMO remembering the local authority rules it is possible it might generate a decent income on the capital deployed. But don't expect any uplift in capital value.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Why not buy some shares. Shares don't need much maintenance. I painted mine last week, and I reckon that should be it for the next 10 years.
    He's right, my Europe fund has just gone up 12% in six months and I didn't even have to knock through...

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Someone else bought it and covered the crack with chipboard. I'm sure this would have tricked any surveyor
    Chipboard cladding. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    She can come and give me a tongue lashing anytime.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I went to look at an 'investment' property last year.
    It had a big crack down the outside of the building. The estate agent didn't think it would be that costly (after all he was an expert in sales). I took a builder friend and he advised the only fix was to knock half of the house down i.e. spend 10s of thousands, certainly more than house price plus maximum profit.

Someone else bought it and covered the crack with chipboard. I'm sure this would have tricked any surveyor

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy
    Sarah Beeny's norks would be so disappointed in you.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Amateurs.

Sarah Beeny would be so disappointed in you.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    where is it?
    and the postcode please

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by churkus
    thats for all ye views, I think Ill give this one a miss!.
    where is it?

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Why not buy some shares. Shares don't need much maintenance. I painted mine last week, and I reckon that should be it for the next 10 years.
    thats for all ye views, I think Ill give this one a miss!.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    My expertise is based on Property Ladder, so obviously I'm an expert.
    tsskk... bloody amateurs, everyone knows "Homes Under The Hammer" is the most informative property program on TV and if it all goes wrong just give Nick Knowles's a call and he'll send his DIY SOS team to sort it out free of charge.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied

Round my way the local builders and established property developers have got the estate agents sown up so they get first nod at any interesting properties that come their way, before the public are made aware of it. If they've let this one go then there's some serious issues or not much money in it to make it worthwhile.
    I think that happens all over the UK with agents being paid off by developers or keeping stuff back for their family and friends.

Somewhere built in the 70s that is substancially moving will IMHO have problems and be very difficult to sell on. Find out what is is built on??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X