• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Home Self Build

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just buy some green-belt such as a lump of forest, build your house, and erect some WWII style camouflage so it can't be seen unless you know where it is.

Alternatively, build into the side of a hill and cover the entrance with astroturf.

A bit of lateral thinking is all it takes.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

In the late 90s I noticed a plot of land for sale in a small village in green belt just inside the M25. It was T shaped, with the bottom of the T giving access to the road and the top bigger bit being behind existing houses. I thought it was just big enough for a reasonable house at the top with a long garden to the road. I made enquiries with the estate agent, who quoted something like two million pounds.

A developer subsequently built a small block of flats on it (with what looks like a one bedroom house on the bottom of the T, with an access road going past it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
        Just buy some green-belt such as a lump of forest, build your house, and erect some WWII style camouflage so it can't be seen unless you know where it is.

Alternatively, build into the side of a hill and cover the entrance with astroturf.

A bit of lateral thinking is all it takes.
        There was a farmer who did just that. His property was also in a hollow so could not be seen except from the air. Long legal battle ensues. Eventually council chaps came along with bulldozers to knock it down. Farmer meets them at the gate with his gun.

Council guy, laughing, "What are you going to do with that?"

Farmer, "Shoot you if you come any closer."

Council guy, "Go on then."

Bang,

One dead council guy.

I dunno, it should be sad, but it still makes me laugh.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I blame Sarah Beeny.

But she's got great norks so I'll let her off if she lets me play with them for a while...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
            Well I don't know about the UK market. In Germany some people (thousands) try to do it cheaply and end up in a ruin, and don't usually have enough to tear it down, as by the time it's clear they live in a ruin they're on the verge of personal bankruptcy. Normally by this stage the building company has gone bankrupt, and the ex-Managing Director is managing a new company. Mind you I think in the UK the situation is a lot better.
            Peeps like to self build in Germany because up until last year you got tax relief on the mortgage if you self built and you did't if you bought pre-built.

They have abolished this anomoly.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
              I blame Sarah Beeny.

But she's got great norks so I'll let her off if she lets me play with them for a while...

How many babies has she had, she started off this week as the slimmest and fittest she has been for a few series but sure enough 10 minutes in she was pregnant again !

Comment

Working...
              X