• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car charging prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric car charging prices

Appreciate this is general so I'm expecting the usual torrent of abuse, but this doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Considering getting an electric car and I'm looking for an app/website that lists the cost of charging at local access points, I'll get around to putting in a domestic one eventually, but can't right now - it will need hard standing laying outside the house.

Is anyone aware of something like PetrolPrices, but for electric?

I asked my accountant, but they don't have an electric car.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

I think Octopus have one but it may require you to get your electricity from them - i know it allows the charge to be added to your electricity bill if that helps / hinders.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeah I plan on swapping to Octopus, but I need to work out if I can make the numbers work in the short/medium term until I can get something at home.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        ...I'll get around to putting in a domestic one eventually, but can't right now - it will need hard standing laying outside the house.
        Where do you park the car at the moment? Could you use a long extension cable?

Comment

Currently parked on the (shared with my neighbour) drive outside my house. I could run a long extension cable, but given they're quite old, it would be a trip hazard for them. It also specifically says, "Do not use an extension cable to charge" everywhere I've read online. I guess I could get a very long non-hardwired (from the car to the power socket) cable and socket combo and just plug it in when I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Currently parked on the (shared with my neighbour) drive outside my house. I could run a long extension cable, but given they're quite old, it would be a trip hazard for them. It also specifically says, "Do not use an extension cable to charge" everywhere I've read online. I guess I could get a very long non-hardwired (from the car to the power socket) cable and socket combo and just plug it in when I need it.
            Depending on the length of the cable run, a regular 13 Amp extension cable might introduce too many losses. You may need to go to 20 Amp or 32 Amp cable, and you could even use armoured for extra saefety. You can also get IP waterproof sockets for outdoor use.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Depending on the length of the cable run, a regular 13 Amp extension cable might introduce too many losses. You may need to go to 20 Amp or 32 Amp cable, and you could even use armoured for extra saefety. You can also get IP waterproof sockets for outdoor use.
              It's not losses you need to worry about it's (minor) fires..

Comment

Zap map

But be warned. Right now due to supply and demand, public chargers are expensive - about the same as petrol/diesel. You can find slow ones cheaper but that only works if close to your home so you can leave the car for hours.

You're probably wanting to charge in less than an hour so will need at least 50kW.

Perhaps a local supermarket - charge while shopping.
                Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's not losses you need to worry about it's (minor) fires..
                  If the car comes with a charging cable to plug into a 13 Amp wall socket, then it won't draw more than 13 Amps (3kW). Inserting a 13 Amp extension cable won't increase the risk of fire because the resistance in the extension cable will reduce the current. However, it will degrade the charging performance.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

If the car comes with a charging cable to plug into a 13 Amp wall socket, then it won't draw more than 13 Amps (3kW). Inserting a 13 Amp extension cable won't increase the risk of fire because the resistance in the extension cable will reduce the current. However, it will degrade the charging performance.
                    Can you stop talking about things you know nothing about…

Comment

Working...
                    X