• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clear Plan, Bold Action, Secure Future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The means of a GP and a pharmacist with a chain of shops weren't though they would be now thanks to the devaluation of their incomes under 14 years of Tory government.

He actually doesn't hide his school went from selective state to private while he was there.

Oddly Sunak hides the fact that his parents and ancestors stories are that of the British Empire unlike that of Farage.
    Pointless arguing against entrenched beliefs. We will be electing a vacuum pretty soon, so be careful what you wish for...

BTW, electoral reform will feature somewhere along the line. Their thinking is based on Brown's recent paper. That makes disturbing reading.

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Pointless arguing against entrenched beliefs. We will be electing a vacuum pretty soon, so be careful what you wish for...
      We have one in power already.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      BTW, electoral reform will feature somewhere along the line. Their thinking is based on Brown's recent paper. That makes disturbing reading.

HTH
      Labour always does some form of devolution. Pisses the Scottish off as it means their independence votes fail.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Too much is fooked already, if Tories were to stay in power and continue what's already here, then you'd see a total collapse of everything that's already collapsing (ie. everything, nhs, education etc. you name it, there's no single area which isn't collapsing atm). The budget deficit is so high that lowering taxes is not a viable possibility and considering how everything around you is collapsing, taxes really need to go up (or some other serious source of funding is needed, we are talking billions of pounds, not millions), lets also not forget that defence spending needs to go up, so that's another big dent in the cash pot. Labour claiming they can roll in and fix things just by throwing money at it are delusional as well, there is no money, period. Libdems can't do anything on their own and Reform is effectively ex-Brexit party once more.

However you look at it, we are fooked.
        Yep. Trouble is so much money is squandered. With taxes this high we should be experiencing the best healthcare, high quality roads, well equipped army.

Yesterday I was reading that the government spends £17K per year per person, and if you are paying less tax than that someone else is paying for the things you get. Can you think of £17K of stuff you get from the government? I could not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Rubbish. Brexit was called and won off the back of controlled and uncontrolled immigration. It was out of control back then and was going to increase exponentially whether we were in or out. It's been a problem for much longer than Brexit. Policies can't stop people wanting to come here and sitting gov (and previous ones) didn't want to deal with it back then and regardless of brexit outcome they wouldn't have wanted to deal with it now.

The numbers are there, its a fact. Blaming Brexit solves nothing.
          https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/new...-b2561573.html

Audience gasp as post-Brexit migration numbers revealed to Rishi Sunak

Post-Brexit migration numbers shocked the audience at Wednesday’s general election debate.

With Rishi Sunak sat on stage, host Beth Rigby noted that the total net migration figure into the UK in the past three years was 1.9 million, compared to 836,000 people in the three years running up to the 2016 referendum.

As the Sky News political editor read the numbers, the audience gasped in shock.

“Net migration into this country has more than doubled in the last three years, from before we left the European Union,” Ms Rigby concluded.

In response, the prime minister called the figure “too high”.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/new...-b2561573.html

Audience gasp as post-Brexit migration numbers revealed to Rishi Sunak

Post-Brexit migration numbers shocked the audience at Wednesday’s general election debate.

With Rishi Sunak sat on stage, host Beth Rigby noted that the total net migration figure into the UK in the past three years was 1.9 million, compared to 836,000 people in the three years running up to the 2016 referendum.

As the Sky News political editor read the numbers, the audience gasped in shock.

“Net migration into this country has more than doubled in the last three years, from before we left the European Union,” Ms Rigby concluded.

In response, the prime minister called the figure “too high”.
            Why are people shocked?

Those 30K coming on small boats are just a smoke screen to how much legal migration we have because the government doesn't invest in it's own population.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Yep. Trouble is so much money is squandered. With taxes this high we should be experiencing the best healthcare, high quality roads, well equipped army.

Yesterday I was reading that the government spends £17K per year per person, and if you are paying less tax than that someone else is paying for the things you get. Can you think of £17K of stuff you get from the government? I could not.
              You received schooling (when you were a child), NHS, defence, police, fire service, road maintenance, benefits if unemployed, state pension. Lots of things you receive.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

You received schooling (when you were a child), NHS, defence, police, fire service, road maintenance, benefits if unemployed, state pension. Lots of things you receive.
                I'm not paying for my schooling now, my parents paid for that on my behalf as we went along - both of whom worked. Police , fire service come from council tax. Police fail to solve 95 + percent of crimes.

Road maintenance, we pay more in road tax than is spent on roads, so I don't think our income tax is going towards that. State pension may or may not be good value depending on how long I claim it.

I would not get most benefits as I have too much savings. Defense, I don't want to pay for them meddling in countries that are nothing to do with us, all while not actually defending our borders.

I think I could agree I get about £1K value from it. Where is the other £16K?

Comment

Yesterday I was reading that the government spends £17K per year per person, and if you are paying less tax than that someone else is paying for the things you get. Can you think of £17K of stuff you get from the government?
                  I reckon each person only needs to pay about 5K of income tax and/or employee NI to pay their fair share of payroll taxes. The rest of government income comes from things like VAT, Employers NI, Corp tax, Council tax and Business rates etc.

Its easy to forget how much employer NI is:

Someone on average wage (30k) pays: 3.5K income tax, 1.5K NI, and the employer pays almost 3K on top as employer NICs

Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 June 2024, 17:31.

Comment

The other £16K is going to pay for those services that others are receiving. The £17K figure is an average across all people.

Comment

I'm not paying for my schooling now, my parents paid for that on my behalf as we went along - both of whom worked. Police , fire service come from council tax. Police fail to solve 95 + percent of crimes.

Road maintenance, we pay more in road tax than is spent on roads, so I don't think our income tax is going towards that. State pension may or may not be good value depending on how long I claim it.

I would not get most benefits as I have too much savings. Defense, I don't want to pay for them meddling in countries that are nothing to do with us, all while not actually defending our borders.

With that level of ignorance I suspect the money spent on your education was a bit of a waste
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X