• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb slow motorways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb slow motorways

Had to drive down to Heathrow and back from North Yorkshire in the last two weeks and the roadworks are most of the M1 now as they install new emergency pull in areas after realising that smart motorways aren't smart at all. Made the journey long and boring having to sit at 50mph on the speed limiter for hours on end. Anyway why do they have to cone of 50+ miles of motorway, with no work evident, when they could just do a 5 mile stretch then move on? Bit of a scam going on there!

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    Had to drive down to Heathrow and back from North Yorkshire in the last two weeks and the roadworks are most of the M1 now as they install new emergency pull in areas after realising that smart motorways aren't smart at all. Made the journey long and boring having to sit at 50mph on the speed limiter for hours on end. Anyway why do they have to cone of 50+ miles of motorway, with no work evident, when they could just do a 5 mile stretch then move on? Bit of a scam going on there!
    I just switch to cruise control, play some dramatic rock or classical music and enjoy. There's always extra entertainment of watching frustrated boy racers in their fast depreciating SUV's

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I went to northern France last week and it reminded me how much I love their autoroutes compared to UK motorways. Excellent surfaces, fast toll barriers (I have a bip'n'go thingy) and any roadworks done almost on the fly with very limited lengths of coned off road (about 1km was the max).

I'd like to see that methodology applied throughout the UK motorway network. Yes, I'd be happy for it all to be tolled and charged for as it is in France.
      Chief Executive, FCSA
      - Former CEO OF IPSE
      - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
      - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

Yes, when I was in Switzerland driving back on the French autoroutes was fast and a pleasure. Perhaps we do need to replace VED with road tolls which might have the effect of reducing unnecessary journeys. We also need to get the DfT to sort out the roadworks management and fix potholes properly!

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          Yes, when I was in Switzerland driving back on the French autoroutes was fast and a pleasure. Perhaps we do need to replace VED with road tolls which might have the effect of reducing unnecessary journeys. We also need to get the DfT to sort out the roadworks management and fix potholes properly!
          Not surprisingly we at the bottom of the graph on road spending another thing we cut back on, if only we had cut bonuses for fat cats instead.

https://worldroadstatistics.org/many...road-networks/
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bryce View Post
            I went to northern France last week and it reminded me how much I love their autoroutes compared to UK motorways. Excellent surfaces, fast toll barriers (I have a bip'n'go thingy) and any roadworks done almost on the fly with very limited lengths of coned off road (about 1km was the max).

I'd like to see that methodology applied throughout the UK motorway network. Yes, I'd be happy for it all to be tolled and charged for as it is in France.
            What makes you think the income generated would be used to improve the motorway network?
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

What makes you think the income generated would be used to improve the motorway network?
              Well, there's the problem. I dunno. Maybe set up something like SANEF? The French can do it, we could copy them?
              Last edited by Chris Bryce; 3 June 2024, 09:24.
              Chief Executive, FCSA
              - Former CEO OF IPSE
              - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
              - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bryce View Post

Well, there's the problem. I dunno. Maybe set up something like SANEF? The French can do it, we could copy them?
                Well we didn't use the French method with a TGV equivalent.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Well we didn't use the French method with a TGV equivalent.
                  We used the French method with our power.

French method: EDF build power station. EDF is a nationalised company. Profits used for reinvestment in French energy supply.

UK method: EDF build power station. EDF is owned by French government. Profits used for reinvestment in French energy supply.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                  X