• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour's approach to contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour's approach to contractors

Morning,

I'm trying to understand Labour's plans in their 'new deal for working people', and how it would impact our sector. Does anyone have a best guess as to what their plans would be later in the year?

Originally posted by churchillsnip View Post
    Morning,

I'm trying to understand Labour's plans in their 'new deal for working people', and how it would impact our sector. Does anyone have a best guess as to what their plans would be later in the year?

No worse that the Tories promise to revoke IR35 which they reneged upon
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

No worse that the Tories promise to revoke IR35 which they reneged upon
      IR35 is going nowhwere for £65bn reasons...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Morning,

You really think "working people" means consultants on £800+ per day?

Comment

Morning,

At best, no change.

At worst, more moves to eliminate BOS contracting and force everyone onto zero hours, zero protection, zero benefits PAYE contracts.

Comment

1. Abolish Dividend tax
            2. Abolish IR35
            3. Reduce Corporation tax to 15%
            4. Tax heavily offshoring and limit Visas

Would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

You really think "working people" means consultants on £800+ per day?
              I know you aren't asking me - but it's important to remember we are always just collateral damage as HMRC try to cut down abuse in other areas....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I know you aren't asking me - but it's important to remember we are always just collateral damage as HMRC try to cut down abuse in other areas....
                That's why I don't really get people who think HMRC gives two hoots about us and how they really "have to" do something about highly paid consultants not getting jobs, how they didn't give a tulip in covid with support etc. All this talk about "oh maybe they will lower corp tax or get rid of IR35" is pure fantasy talk, I'd be surprised if they leave it as is tbh as I'm sure there's still some wiggle room to make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

That's why I don't really get people who think HMRC gives two hoots about us and how they really "have to" do something about highly paid consultants not getting jobs, how they didn't give a tulip in covid with support etc. All this talk about "oh maybe they will lower corp tax or get rid of IR35" is pure fantasy talk, I'd be surprised if they leave it as is tbh as I'm sure there's still some wiggle room to make more money.
                  It's perfectly logical. The Treasury only recognises employers or employees (the latter subdivided into employees and temporary workers). Employers make thing you can put on a shelf or generate money in finance, employees do the actual work. We, along with a lot of other small businesses and traders, do not fit either category, so we do not figure in any of their plans. As Eek rightly says, we are simply collateral damage in a 19th century view of the economy.

Dawn Primarola said it, very clearly, a long time ago. "Those genuinely in business have nothing to fear from IR35". What she didn't make clear was that if you don't make tractors you cant possibly be in business and hence are simply avoiding paying taxes that are rightfully due as an employee.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It's perfectly logical. The Treasury only recognises employers or employees (the latter subdivided into employees and temporary workers). Employers make thing you can put on a shelf or generate money in finance, employees do the actual work. We, along with a lot of other small businesses and traders, do not fit either category, so we do not figure in any of their plans. As Eek rightly says, we are simply collateral damage in a 19th century view of the economy.

Dawn Primarola said it, very clearly, a long time ago. "Those genuinely in business have nothing to fear from IR35". What she didn't make clear was that if you don't make tractors you cant possibly be in business and hence are simply avoiding paying taxes that are rightfully due as an employee.
                    Sure, I'm just surprised that we keep seeing the same "I really hope they abolish IR35" comments on here, I simply assumed everyone's aware of where we are in the grand scheme of things (and that IR35 brings in millions, so why would they ever get rid of it?).

Comment

Working...
                    X