• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to restrict who can download a Docker image

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to restrict who can download a Docker image

Afternoon All

so plan c is a software startup which is going to be a huge success

the first customer is piloting the software at the moment

they are running it as a Docker image which they pulled

question for the experts

I am reading the Docker documentation and I cannot see how we can restrict access to the docker container on a customer by customer basis

we want to have a limited capability free version of the software which anyone can pull and run

and we want to have docker images which only licensed customers can pull

any ideas how to do that

thanks

Milan

This might have been better placed in Technical, Milan.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

How about keeping the freebie version on Docker and the full fat one on a site with proper security models..?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Most people put a serial number in the custom binaries, plenty of good tools. Put the real complexity in encrypted binaries or remote APIs make it phone home, one IP address and police accordingly. Anyone can download the image and it runs for 30 days after registration. You get their details and if they want more than 30 days they can ask and you issue a new time limited key.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thank you both - will have a look in to both recommendations will dm when I have more questions thanks

Milan

Comment

management decision is to take the phuckit approach

we'll put a legal licensing text in there that by pulling the image they can use it for non-business transactions, non-commercial use, and if they want to use it for business/commercial then they should buy a license

job's a goodun

Milan.

Comment

Does it phone home so you know how many illegitimate children you have?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

not yet, and it can be used within private networks where there wouldn't be Internet connectivity, so for that reason we leave the ET Phone Home out of it

we are looking for Enterprise Customers

If Enterprise Customers want to run this operationally then they will want the things that the trial version doesn't get them, like, support, and hence they will buy a license

We want the whole world to use the software

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                X