• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest rates to drop tomorrow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest rates to drop tomorrow?

Lots of betting that interest rates will drop very soon if not tomorrow. Eurozone is showing inflation at 2.4% if that's the same as the UK for April it would be odd to keep them higher for any longer than needed, especially as all the silliness over the mini-budget has subsided and the eurobank are planning cuts in June.
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 8 May 2024, 16:03.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Absolutely no chance. June would be the absolute earliest, but probably August.

Comment

Inflation has been a little bit hotter than expected recently, so the markets are predicting August for the first rate cut. Hopefully between now an August the date doesn't get moved back again.

Comment

No chance. America first and then we follow.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
          No chance. America first and then we follow.
          Basically what the BoE were saying in a very convoluted way.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Economists are predicting September for a US interest rate cut but markets seem to be pricing in an earlier cut, maybe in June, for the Eurozone. Is the UK more likely to follow the US or the Eurozone?

Surely with the US election in Nov and the UK election likely at the same time, there will be enormous political pressure to get at least one rate cut, maybe even two, before then?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Economists are predicting September for a US interest rate cut but markets seem to be pricing in an earlier cut, maybe in June, for the Eurozone. Is the UK more likely to follow the US or the Eurozone?

Surely with the US election in Nov and the UK election likely at the same time, there will be enormous political pressure to get at least one rate cut, maybe even two, before then?
              I think we will follow the Euro bank and go earlier than the US, simply because we have had to go harder due to the Liz budget fiasco. The rumour mill is suggesting an October election for the UK. Which I really hope is true.

Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Thursday November 14 is still the most likely election date and August for a UK rate cut. US will probably be a little later for a rate cut.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

I think we will follow the Euro bank and go earlier than the US, simply because we have had to go harder due to the Liz budget fiasco. The rumour mill is suggesting an October election for the UK. Which I really hope is true.
                  October seems too early - the Tory party conference runs until Oct 2nd and I can't see them declaring the election until at least a week after that. So mid-Nov is my best guess, just after the US election.

Comment

Working...
                  X