• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ms Rayner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ms Rayner

Nothing to see.

HMRC have absolutely no interest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2525135.html

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has said the Conservatives are “chasing a smear” in raising questions about deputy leader Angela Rayner’s taxes.

Ms Rayner has faced questions about whether she paid the right amount of tax on the 2015 sale of her ex-council house due to confusion over whether it was her principal residency.

The Labour deputy leader has insisted she has “done absolutely nothing wrong” and took legal advice that no rules were broken.

She has said she would present this advice to the police or HMRC but would not publicly release her “personal tax advice”.

Sir Keir defended Ms Rayner and said people were more interested in “problems caused by this government.”

He said: “Angela Rayner has been asked no end of questions about this. She’s answered them all. She said she’s very happy to answer any further questions from the police or from any of the authorities.

“I don’t need to see the legal advice. My team has seen it. But I will say this, that on the day that the A&E figures, people are waiting more than 24 hours in A&E, we now know that they are 10 times as high as they were five years ago.

“The idea that the Tories want to be focusing on what Angela Rayner, how much time she spent with her ex-husband 10 years ago, I can tell you here at this hospital, nobody but nobody is interested in that. They’re very, very interested in what are you going to do about the A&E problem caused by this government.

Sir Keir added that it was “not appropriate” for him to see Ms Rayner’s legal advice personally.

He added: “But I do know this, that if you’re waiting more than 24 hours for A&E, you’re much more interested in why the government is not absolutely laser focused on that, which is what they should be, than chasing this smear against Angela Rayner and how much time she spent with her husband over 10 years ago.”

Deputy chairman of the Conservative Party James Daly has previously urged Sir Keir to “show some leadership and open a full, transparent and independent investigation” into Ms Rayner’s tax affairs.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Standard politicians' answer. Ignore the question and talk about something unrelated. We will have two senior MPs at the top of government who refuse to answer a fairly key question of their commitment to honesty. Heigh ho...

Hypocrisy doesn't cover it...

BTW , both HMRC and the police are very interested in the matter.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Have you a link to that ?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's rarely the substance that catches you out, it's the lying about it afterwards. She's obviously lied although, ironically, on an issue that is not important to the rules, which don't care about where you lived at the time, rather about which house (as a married couple) you elected as your primary residence, whether explicitly or de facto.

Comment

I doubt they are that interested and I doubt you have any evidence that the HMRC are interested because they don't discuss details of individual taxpayers. That said, it's also quite likely that she avoided some (small) amount of tax through ignorance. Something that could be easily corrected, there is certainly no question of evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I doubt they are that interested and I doubt you have any evidence that the HMRC are interested because they don't discuss details of individual taxpayers. That said, it's also quite likely that she avoided some (small) amount of tax through ignorance. Something that could be easily corrected, there is certainly no question of evasion.
            You miss the point. Its not about tax its about hypocrisy. Or doesn't that matter any more? Dunno about you but I'm peed off with politicians who say anything to avoid being held to account. You want to govern me... then be f***ing honest about your actions.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hypocrisy? After the last 14 years?
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Hypocrisy? After the last 14 years?
                You got the point. Well done...

Starmer continues to offer integrity and honesty. Not looking good so far.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You miss the point. Its not about tax its about hypocrisy. Or doesn't that matter any more? Dunno about you but I'm peed off with politicians who say anything to avoid being held to account. You want to govern me... then be f***ing honest about your actions.
                  No evidence, then

As I said above, it's the lying that gets you.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

No evidence, then

As I said above, it's the lying that gets you.
                    No evidence you would accept perhaps.

BBC reported 12 days back that Manchester police found no evidence of wrongdoing. That was challenged by an MP and they are re-examining the case. The MoS has solid evidence if her actual position which varies from her stated position and makes the original police decision ill considered shall we say.

But hey, she's not a Tory so can do no wrong.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X