• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bye Mrs May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye Mrs May

Bye bye our second female PM and Architect of Windrush scandal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

The former prime minister Theresa May will step down as an MP at the next general election after 27 years in parliament.
    In a statement to the Maidenhead Advertiser, the Maidenhead MP said she wanted to focus on causes close to her heart, including her work on the Global Commission on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.

May, who was first elected in 1997, said: “Since stepping down as prime minister I have enjoyed being a backbencher again and having more time to work for my constituents and champion causes close to my heart including most recently launching a Global Commission on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Bye bye our second female PM and Architect of Windrush scandal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election

The former prime minister Theresa May will step down as an MP at the next general election after 27 years in parliament.
    In a statement to the Maidenhead Advertiser, the Maidenhead MP said she wanted to focus on causes close to her heart, including her work on the Global Commission on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.

May, who was first elected in 1997, said: “Since stepping down as prime minister I have enjoyed being a backbencher again and having more time to work for my constituents and champion causes close to my heart including most recently launching a Global Commission on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.
    The Windrush scandal was formed decades before May arrived. All she did was try to tighten up on immigration and we discovered we had millions of undocumented people because the Home office had done such a crap job for so long.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how political historians judge her. She inherited a terrible situation from Cameron - try to implement Brexit with no plan or even any thoughts of a plan in place.

I think history might eventually be a bit kinder to May, unlike that muppet Cameron.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The Windrush scandal was formed decades before May arrived. All she did was try to tighten up on immigration and we discovered we had millions of undocumented people because the Home office had done such a crap job for so long.
        If she knew her history she would have known there were British citizens who were born as British citizens and came to the UK as British citizens who didn't have documents for very good reasons. It wasn't the Home Office civil service fault that's unless you want to blame UK governments going back as far as WW2?
        ​​​​​​
        She was the Secretary of State who thought it was a good idea to send around "Go Home" vans and she cut the number of police.

I'm listening to ex-police officers slagging her off for cutting police budgets.

Comment

If she knew her history she would have known there were British citizens who didn't have documents for very good reasons. It wasn't the Home Office civil service fault that's unless you want to blame UK governments going back as far as WW2?
          ​​​​​​
          She was the Secretary of State who thought it was a good idea to send around "Go Home" vans and she cut the number of police.

I'm listening to ex-police officers slagging her off for cutting police budgets.
          I am perfectly happy to blame every government since WW2 as they are culpable.

The Go home vans were pretty bad. The number of police has since been shown as a poor decision one assumes the cabinet signed off on it?

Oddly we have hired loads more Police and they have delivered worst outcomes than in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I am perfectly happy to blame every government since WW2 as they are culpable.

The Go home vans were pretty bad. The number of police has since been shown as a poor decision one assumes the cabinet signed off on it?

Oddly we have hired loads more Police and they have delivered worst outcomes than in the 70s.
            Problem with jobs like police, prison officers, probation officers, paramedics, nurses, etc is that when you get rid of experienced staff you get rid of lots of knowledge that is used to train those more junior. So when you ramp up recruitment again you have already lost lots of capable people to help train them.

Comment

Where's Jack Regan and Sgt Dixon when we need them?
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Problem with jobs like police, prison officers, probation officers, paramedics, nurses, etc is that when you get rid of experienced staff you get rid of lots of knowledge that is used to train those more junior. So when you ramp up recruitment again you have already lost lots of capable people to help train them.
                I always wonder about this 'knowledge' as mentioned the Sweeny is probably not something we should imitate in the modern day. Watching the Police shows it does look like a lot of behaviour could be streamlined if careful inspection were undertaken.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  It will be interesting to see how political historians judge her. She inherited a terrible situation from Cameron - try to implement Brexit with no plan or even any thoughts of a plan in place.

I think history might eventually be a bit kinder to May, unlike that muppet Cameron.
                  Tbf, while she was dealt a terrible hand, she then proceeded to douse it in oil and set it on fire. Like individuals in power are wont to, she desperately wanted to create a legacy any which way but failed miserably in that attempt.

Having said that, May was rather more successful than the next female PM!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	4286229
                  Last edited by sreed; 8 March 2024, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Tbf, while she was dealt a terrible hand, she then proceeded to douse it in oil and set it on fire. Like individuals in power are wont to, she desperately wanted to create a legacy any which way but failed miserably in that attempt.

Having said that, May was rather more successful than the next female PM!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	4286229
                    I was expecting a picture of a lettuce.

Comment

Working...
                    X