• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocked, shocked I tell you - Cash in hand carers edition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocked, shocked I tell you - Cash in hand carers edition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vacancies.html

Vulnerable care residents are being looked after by unqualified migrants as rogue operators exploit Home Office loopholes, a Mail investigation shows.

Scant checks in the desperate bid to fill huge vacancies mean untrained and overworked staff, sometimes barely able to speak English, are left caring for the elderly in the under-strain sector.

Our probe into the 'cash for care jobs scandal' found some outfits charge overseas applicants 'work finder fees' of up to £20,000 to help them get a visa allowing them to come – and stay – here.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The question is... Who DOESN'T know this?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Didn't know you needed any qualifications to be a carer.

Also how do you background check people from countries where bribery of public officials and fake qualifications are common?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The question is... Who DOESN'T know this?
        well one suspects the immigration service!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

well one suspects the immigration service!
          But their ex-Chief Inspector did amongst other things....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The Mail alludes to the chronic shortage of staff in the sector in a sidebar story but the real scandal is governments being unable to form a workable social care policy including how to fund it through taxation. The current government pledged to do this many years ago and have done barely anything as far as I can tell.

I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in hospitals and a care home with my dad, Having seen first hand what the care staff have to do (maybe 80% are African or Asian) I have a lot of admiration for them, earning close to minimum wage.

The article seems over zealous in suggesting care homes are a cash cow. Maybe for these visa fixers and some of the dodgy newer homes but the sector as a whole has been in crisis for such a long time. Several large care home chains went bust and local councils are so cash strapped, they struggle to fund places for the really needy.

If we want our elderly to be looked after well, someone has to pay for it and that's not happening to the degree needed.

Comment

Blame the short-sightedness of the folk in charge, and by extension the electorate (yes, that does include me). In a democracy (imperfect though the system may be) we largely get the politicians we deserve.

We have an ageing population and a steadily growing requirement for health and care facilities and personnel to look after the elderly that need help.

Caring for anyone, though labelled ‘unskilled’, is a tulip job that not everyone can do or wants to do. And if you deliberately and consciously set up a system which relies on care operators paying peanuts and importing an ever cheaper supply of desperate workers from the far reaches of the world to plug in the gaps, you get what you would expect.

The people who drew up and implement these short-sighted policies to avoid having to make the hard decisions on how to address our growing care needs know exactly what’s happening and they don’t give a tulip.
              Last edited by sreed; 5 March 2024, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Blame the short-sightedness of the folk in charge, and by extension the electorate (yes, that does include me). In a democracy (imperfect though the system may be) we largely get the politicians we deserve.

We have an ageing population and a steadily growing requirement for health and care facilities and personnel to look after the elderly that need help.

Caring for anyone, though labelled ‘unskilled’, is a tulip job that not everyone can do or wants to do. And if you deliberately and consciously set up a system which relies on care operators paying peanuts and importing an ever cheaper supply of desperate workers from the far reaches of the world to plug in the gaps, you get what you would expect.

The people who drew up and implement these short-sighted policies to avoid having to make the hard decisions on how to address our growing care needs know exactly what’s happening and they don’t give a tulip.
                Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

You're totally right and it can be almost guaranteed that the next government or two will do the same and kick the can down the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X