• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rochdale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rochdale

Oh dear!
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Oh dear!
    If you knew anything about Rochdale, you would understand how Galloway won.

Galloway appealed to the members of Rochdale's population most likely to vote - the same demographic that would vote for Sadiq Khan as Mayor.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Galloway appealed to the members of Rochdale's population most likely to vote - the same demographic that would vote for Sadiq Khan as Mayor.
      Correct. He stepped in and won a landslide victory in Bradford in 2012. The local populace like what he says so he will be popular in any similar grim northern town he pops up in.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It isn't the same demographic.

Sadiq Khan is getting death threats from both the extreme right and Islamists. He is the politician with the most security protection in the UK. One of the first things he did, and he continues to do, is turn up at Jewish events.

I doubt Galloway gets death threats from Islamists or turns up at Jewish events. He, Galloway, was also endorsed by Nick Griffin. (In fact Jewish groups are worried about him being in parliament.)
        Last edited by SueEllen; 1 March 2024, 10:34.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It isn't the same demographic.

Sadiq Khan is getting death threats from both the extreme right and Islamists. He is the politician with the most security protection in the UK. One of the first things he did, and he continues to do, is turn up at Jewish events.

I doubt Galloway gets death threats from Islamists or turns up at Jewish events. He, Galloway, was also endorsed by Nick Griffin. (In fact Jewish groups are worried about him being in parliament.)
          Oh dear. Not every muslim is an "Islamist" and I would venture that Galloway is more likely to garner the muslim vote than any of the other representatives.

Stick to commenting about something of which you may at least have a modicum of knowledge - I'm sure you'll find something, eventually.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Oh dear. Not every muslim is an "Islamist"
            Where did I say that?

I wouldn't be alive if they were.

and I would venture that Galloway is more likely to garner the muslim vote than any of the other representatives.
            I doubt he got the Jewish vote.

Stick to commenting about something of which you may at least have a modicum of knowledge
            I think I understand my extended family and my family heritage better than you.

It is also very easy to find out about the threats Sadiq Khan faces and what he gets up to, particularly if he's one of your elected politicians.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In this weird scenario, it wasn't really that Labour lost, it's that they were legally blocked from fielding a new candidate after they dropped their original candidate, because it was too close to election day. If they'd put up a candidate, they would almost certainly have won.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Where did I say that?

I wouldn't be alive if they were.

I doubt he got the Jewish vote.

I think I understand my extended family and my family heritage better than you.

It is also very easy to find out about the threats Sadiq Khan faces and what he gets up to, particularly if he's one of your elected politicians.
                Considering that 0.1% of the Rochdale populace identify as Jewish and that ~19% are Muslim, I would suggest that it wouldn't have made much of a difference who they voted for.

We're talking about Rochdale, not Prestwich.

Comment

Galloway is the problem not Rochdale
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Galloway is the problem not Rochdale
                    Rochdale started going downhill when Gracie Fields left.

Comment

Working...
                    X