• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No whites!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    LOL, maybe that went way over my head then!

I did edit and expand my post before you replied making a point about why the organisers are probably well meaning but misguided.
    You are giving them more credit that most people then. I don't think they've been misguided, I'd say they know very well what they are doing. They'll tell the press some fluff to try justify it but I don't think it's got anything to do with safe spaces or making the world better. It looks more like an activist mentality and they are out to shock and make a statement.

That said though, if I'm wrong and it does genuinely bring the theater to those that haven't wanted to go before and they start attending more shows that aren't divided then fair play to him.. but I just don't think that's how this is gonna pan out.

EDIT : Actually all that said, just had a read around and there are number of 'Black Out' events been held over the years recenty, they come and they go, appear to be pretty successful and no harm appears to have been done. There was one in 2022 in London and there are a couple of articles discussing it but nothing like the outrage that appears to be going on with this one.

So i've change my mind somewhat. I think the problem is the media coverage that's whipping the storm, not the actual event. It will run, people will enjoy it and it will go away until another isolated one further down the line. Doesn't appear to be the start of segragation and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near becoming a norm. Possibly a discussion to be had about terms like no whites, white gaze and white theater goes being 'unwelcome'. They could have stepped too far over the line or it's the press that's blown it out of proportion. If it's the former then a bit of re-think wouldn't go amiss.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 February 2024, 23:55.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You are giving them more credit that most people then. I don't think they've been misguided, I'd say they know very well what they are doing. They'll tell the press some fluff to try justify it but I don't think it's got anything to do with safe spaces or making the world better. It looks more like an activist mentality and they are out to shock and make a statement.

That said though, if I'm wrong and it does genuinely bring the theater to those that haven't wanted to go before and they start attending more shows that aren't divided then fair play to him.. but I just don't think that's how this is gonna pan out.

EDIT : Actually all that said, just had a read around and there are number of 'Black Out' events been held over the years recenty, they come and they go, appear to be pretty successful and no harm appears to have been done. There was one in 2022 in London and there are a couple of articles discussing it but nothing like the outrage that appears to be going on with this one.

So i've change my mind somewhat. I think the problem is the media coverage that's whipping the storm, not the actual event. It will run, people will enjoy it and it will go away until another isolated one further down the line. Doesn't appear to be the start of segragation and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near becoming a norm. Possibly a discussion to be had about terms like no whites, white gaze and white theater goes being 'unwelcome'. They could have stepped too far over the line or it's the press that's blown it out of proportion. If it's the former then a bit of re-think wouldn't go amiss.
      Yes, these 'blackout' events have been going on for a few years. I recall an event organised to encourage Asian women to attend one of the big London museums or galleries. Encouraging more ethnic minorities to attend cultural events is a laudable aim but as you say, terms like white gaze and safe spaces annoys/offends a significant number of people and doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Hey I went to see Status Quo in the 80s, we were the only non Hells Angels! Definitely felt unsafe.

Friend of mine (horribly white lineage probably goes back before 1066) married an African Lady and their children are mixed race, for her birthday party they used to live in a tiny flat so they booked a night club in Croydon. His Parents, my wife & I plus my mate were the only whites, many of those in the club were quite unfriendly I can see how that might feel like oppression.
        I saw Status Quo twice in the 80s, both times I'm sure I was the only Asian there but it was fine

The only time I encountered any Hells Angels at a gig was prog rockers Marillion of all people, headlining at Milton Keynes Bowl. I was still at school and TBH it was a bit frightening getting caught in the middle of a fracas between a bunch of them and another group.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

When are you becoming a radio host?

Listening to a discussion about this now.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I saw Status Quo twice in the 80s, both times I'm sure I was the only Asian there but it was fine

The only time I encountered any Hells Angels at a gig was prog rockers Marillion of all people, headlining at Milton Keynes Bowl. I was still at school and TBH it was a bit frightening getting caught in the middle of a fracas between a bunch of them and another group.
            We had Chas & Dave supporting it was awesome!

Bit of exaggeration while there were a few Hells Angels but there were also grannies in the bleachers.

Have bumped into a few in various pubs.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

When are you becoming a radio host?

Listening to a discussion about this now.
              They know exactly what they are doing, it creates publicity. They know it is inherently racist. They don't care because it sells tickets to what sounds like a crappy play describing being racist about mixed marriages.

This constant whining about Black man's "oppression" by the whites because of slavery is sad.

I am waiting for some historian to point out how in 4,500 years of recorded slavery in Africa (there are documents showing they voluntarily sold their brothers to the Arabs as slaves in 2500 BCE probably much earlier). The white man was only there for 2-300 years and the Europeans and British bought millions of slaves off the local chiefs & kings which the Africans kings liked because it drove the price up because the Arabs kept on buying .

The Portuguese did have the Pope's blessing and written exclusivity to run African Slaves. We forget purchasing and owning slaves was completely legal internationally backed by society and the church. Oddly these never get mentioned. Same for the French , Germans who also were big in slave trading post the 1500s when the Europeans got there a mere 4 millennia after the first recorded African to Arab slave trading.

The British after 200 years realised that slavery was wrong and an affront to their God (odd as Africa embraced Jesus long before Europe). A cynic may suggest it seems like they are annoyed we ruined one of their key industries selling their people as slaves.

Comment

They know exactly what they are doing, it creates publicity. They know it is inherently racist. They don't care because it sells tickets to what sounds like a crappy play describing being racist about mixed marriages.

This constant whining about Black man's "oppression" by the whites because of slavery is sad.

I am waiting for some historian to point out how in 4,500 years of recorded slavery in Africa (there are documents showing they voluntarily sold their brothers to the Arabs as slaves in 2500 BCE probably much earlier). The white man was only there for 2-300 years and the Europeans and British bought millions of slaves off the local chiefs & kings which the Africans kings liked because it drove the price up because the Arabs kept on buying .

The Portuguese did have the Pope's blessing and written exclusivity to run African Slaves. We forget purchasing and owning slaves was completely legal internationally backed by society and the church. Oddly these never get mentioned. Same for the French , Germans who also were big in slave trading post the 1500s when the Europeans got there a mere 4 millennia after the first recorded African to Arab slave trading.

The British after 200 years realised that slavery was wrong and an affront to their God (odd as Africa embraced Jesus long before Europe). A cynic may suggest it seems like they are annoyed we ruined one of their key industries selling their people as slaves.
                Or the fact that in the United States there were at least 3700 black slave owners who owned ~13000 slaves between them. Shines a whole new light on the expression "Yo, my N****r!", doesn't it?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The British after 200 years realised that slavery was wrong and an affront to their God
                  Not just that, but also used their naval power to disrupt the trade. It cost Britain a huge amount to abolish slavery and to do that. With no real goal than to do the right thing. I'm fairly sure that should cover any reparations due.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Or the fact that in the United States there were at least 3700 black slave owners who owned ~13000 slaves between them. Shines a whole new light on the expression "Yo, my N****r!", doesn't it?
                    I hadn't realised there were that many! Interesting thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Not just that, but also used their naval power to disrupt the trade. It cost Britain a huge amount to abolish slavery and to do that. With no real goal than to do the right thing. I'm fairly sure that should cover any reparations due.
                      I'm interested to see how they deal with the fact ~90% were purchased from their fellow Africans. Their only real alternative was to be sold to the Arabs where they had about 20% chance of surviving the trip as against >80% survival with the Brits.

Should make the math challenging.

As you say The Brits stopped slavery at significant cost in lives & money. This obsession with misrepresenting the facts to obtain advantage would be considered fraudulent in other situations.

Comment

Working...
                      X