• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow T5 security being pleasant.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My rucksack fell off my suitcase as I approached security. A young member of staff hurried over, picked it up and handed it to me.

I left my wristwatch in the tray after scanning. When I went back, an older member of staff went from line to line checking for my watch, which he eventually found.

Nice, but wierd.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	80-554200-Main_large.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	4283171
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Chicago O'Hare one of the four airports where security have held a gun on me. He just held the butt because despite him having an accent so thick I couldn't understand him, his instructions being unclear and me having been on planes etc for 14 hours I didn't move fast enough. Think mall cop.
      One of a number of reasons why I'm in no hurry to visit the USA again, despite being an amazing place with many lovely people. So many other places to see in the world where you feel welcome as soon as you arrive

Comment

True story. Last Tuesday, flying to Tenerife, going through security in Glasgow. I had a laptop rucksack for my hand luggage, a targus one with multiple compartments that zip open/closed to make larger or smaller internal compartments. Everything goes in the grey box, through the machine. Wife gets her stuff back and I get pulled back. Guy starts pulling my lappy rucky apart and taking stuff out and puts it through the machine another 3 times, sticking his hand in and rooting around all the wee compartments repeatedly. Fourth time, he stickes his arm in, finds another internal zip, dives in and pulls out.......a junior hacksaw (f**k know how it got in there). He laughs and looks at me and says 'You canny take this mate'....
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

One of a number of reasons why I'm in no hurry to visit the USA again, despite being an amazing place with many lovely people. So many other places to see in the world where you feel welcome as soon as you arrive
          I've had both one of the friendliest and one of the most horrid border security on entering the USA.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I've had both one of the friendliest and one of the most horrid border security on entering the USA.
            Let me guess, "Moral Turpitude"...
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              True story. Last Tuesday, flying to Tenerife, going through security in Glasgow. I had a laptop rucksack for my hand luggage, a targus one with multiple compartments that zip open/closed to make larger or smaller internal compartments. Everything goes in the grey box, through the machine. Wife gets her stuff back and I get pulled back. Guy starts pulling my lappy rucky apart and taking stuff out and puts it through the machine another 3 times, sticking his hand in and rooting around all the wee compartments repeatedly. Fourth time, he stickes his arm in, finds another internal zip, dives in and pulls out.......a junior hacksaw (f**k know how it got in there). He laughs and looks at me and says 'You canny take this mate'....
              I had similar coming back from Rome one time, but mine was my camping knife tucked away in internal rucksack pocket. Thing is I travelled out with from East Midlands and it never got picked up!
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I had similar coming back from Rome one time, but mine was my camping knife tucked away in internal rucksack pocket. Thing is I travelled out with from East Midlands and it never got picked up!
                Managed to get a swiss army knife out of Heathrow in hand luggage twice back in the day!
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Most odd one was that security insisted they confiscate an empty 300ml water bottle. Their reason, you could fill it up with liquid.
                  I answered, but, I can buy a 300ml water bottle air-side and fill it up.
                  No response
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Nice to know on the way out of the UK if there is going to be plane rage with a bladed item it will be an
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                      Reminds me when we flew out of Warsaw once. Some airports have the clear plastic box full of lighters, nail clippers and other trivial things people forgot they had. In Warsaw airport they've got a huge one and it was jam packed with tools. I mean like everything from screwdrivers, saws, pliers you name it. Nothing else. Kind of made sense to see all the tools coming out of Poland if you think about it but not something we expected. In the front of it was a 3 foot general purpose hand saw. Which nobber carries a 3 foot saw thinking they are going to get it past security. Unfortunately we found it so hilarious one of the handymen types in our group though it would be funny to take a picture. The minute he did he got accosted by 3 security gaurds who made him scroll through every photo in his phone to delete it (no photos in security of course).
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X