• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society Quarterly Regional House Price Update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwide Building Society Quarterly Regional House Price Update

Happy New Year all.

This quarterly report is an interesting read as it contains predictions for 2024.

My view is that we should hopefully continue to see the reduction in mortgage rates (subject to events on the world stage) which is now underway as banks will have new lending targets.

As rates continue to come down, I suspect it will make renting less attractive to prospective first time buyers. Lets say for example that to rent a 1 bed flat in London costs £1400pcm. Once mortgage rates hit 4%, a loan of £350,000 over 35 years would come in at £1549pcm.

Key points:
    • House prices down 1.8% compared with a year ago
    • Northern Ireland and Scotland the only parts of the UK to see prices rise in 2023
    • East Anglia the weakest performing region with prices down 5.2% over the year

Full report here:

https://www.nationwidehousepriceinde...531C5M,Z5W8I,1

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Happy New Year all.
    Lets say for example that to rent a 1 bed flat in London costs £1400pcm. Once mortgage rates hit 4%, a loan of £350,000 over 35 years would come in at £1549pcm.
    Where in London will you find anything big enough to live in for £350k? I'm outside the M25, down the A24 and £350k gets you a 45sqm "house". Also 35yrs is one hell of a mortgage period

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Where in London will you find anything big enough to live in for £350k? I'm outside the M25, down the A24 and £350k gets you a 45sqm "house". Also 35yrs is one hell of a mortgage period
      I used to be down the A24, outside Dorking, sold up , bought a house in Devon roughly 2x the size of the old one with 5x the land and still had the best part of £100k left over.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

A half decent four bed detached in Slough is a million.

https://www.onthemarket.com/for-sale...rt-field=price

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Average transaction value is not interchangeable with average house value.

Transactions at the lower end have fallen off a cliff, it's distorting the indices.

When the MPC is still hawkish 6-3 it's absurd how many 'property experts' are claiming that sentiment is positive.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I used to be down the A24, outside Dorking, sold up , bought a house in Devon roughly 2x the size of the old one with 5x the land and still had the best part of £100k left over.
            Dorking is absolutely mad prices for some silly reason. Perhaps at one point 15yrs ago it was a fairly nice place, but currently it's a terrible tuliphole, the only thing saving it is the greenery around it and train connections to London. Same goes for Reigate nearby, probably even more bonkers prices actually.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

A half decent four bed detached in Slough is a million.

https://www.onthemarket.com/for-sale...rt-field=price

In bloody Slough? eek

You'd have to be proper mad to spend a mil and live in Slough

Comment

In bloody Slough? eek

You'd have to be proper mad to spend a mil and live in Slough
                obviously some people are

Comment

Dorking is absolutely mad prices for some silly reason. Perhaps at one point 15yrs ago it was a fairly nice place, but currently it's a terrible tuliphole, the only thing saving it is the greenery around it and train connections to London. Same goes for Reigate nearby, probably even more bonkers prices actually.
                  I lived up a hill outside Dorking. It was great when we moved in, but became overrun with cyclists/mountain bikers who were more interested in trashing the place than caring about it. They lacked any respect or responsibility.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I lived up a hill outside Dorking. It was great when we moved in, but became overrun with cyclists/mountain bikers who were more interested in trashing the place than caring about it. They lacked any respect or responsibility.
                    saw this and thought of you

Click image for larger version

Name:	69824-a6f643bb-cd77-4b1c-8025-7204d91ffb48.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	4281884

Comment

Working...
                    X