• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rwanda is a no go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rwanda is a no go

And Rishi knew.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...kers-to-rwanda

Rishi Sunak’s key immigration policy has been dealt a blow after the UK’s highest court rejected the government’s plans to deport people seeking asylum to Rwanda.
    Five judges at the supreme court upheld an appeal court ruling on Wednesday, which found that there was a real risk of deported refugees having their claims in the east African country wrongly assessed or being returned to their country of origin to face persecution.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Wow... very good news. I had thought the government would win.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketto View Post
      Wow... very good news. I had thought the government would win.
      Get ready for tomorrow's Fail headline...

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Nah, we had the attack on police earlier this week which had the same taste.

My money is on this being reported as a Tory civil war, Rishi v Cruella.

Comment

Suella Braverman KC says the SC is wrong.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Suella Braverman KC says the SC is wrong.
            So does Rwanda, which is probably more relevant.

Two choices - find another country to help, or step away from the ECHR. What's the betting there are no plans in place for either?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

lets send them to Albania, its ok for Italy

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...red%20a%20year.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Two choices - find another country to help, or step away from the ECHR. What's the betting there are no plans in place for either?
                Third choice is to amend the ECHR. I'm not sure on the process, if it require uniamousity, but how many countries are starting to squirm under their immigration problems?

I much rather an update to the ECHR to reflect current times rather than leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Third choice is to amend the ECHR. I'm not sure on the process, if it require uniamousity, but how many countries are starting to squirm under their immigration problems?

I much rather an update to the ECHR to reflect current times rather than leave it.
                  Its like the pro Hamas marches they don't want to tackle the reality.

When Hamas get desperate a 7/7 reboot is likely.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

As the ruling made explicitly clear, leaving EHCR would not be enough (and would not, in any case, have majority support among Tory MPs) as the policy was ruled unlawful against several existing domestic and international obligations. At best, they can leverage ignorance about a "leave ECHR" policy among thickos.

Comment

Working...
                    X