• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sacked!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sacked!

Unfortunately not the one some of us hope.

It's Carol Vorderman instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...al-media-rules

Carol Vorderman has quit her weekly BBC Radio Wales show, saying she will “not be silenced” by the corporation’s new social media guidelines.

Vorderman, who has hosted the Saturday morning show for five years, said BBC Wales management had decided she “must leave” after she continued to express forthright opinions, often about the government’s running of the country, on social media.

In September the BBC updated its social media guidelines to include a strengthened “Lineker clause”, in an attempt to stop high-profile presenters expressing strong views on party politics.

Vorderman, who earlier this year called the government “a lying bunch of greedy, corrupt, destructive, hateful, divisive, gaslighting crooks, said she respected the BBC’s social media guidelines but was “not prepared to lose my voice on social media, change who I am, or lose the ability to express the strong beliefs I hold about the political turmoil this country finds itself in”.

In a statement on X, formally Twitter, Vorderman wrote: “The BBC recently introduced new social media guidelines, which I respect. However, despite my show being light-hearted with no political content, it was explained to me that, as it is a weekly show in my name, the new guidelines would apply to all and any content that I post all year round.

“Since those non-negotiable changes to my radio contract were made, I’ve ultimately found that I’m not prepared to lose my voice on social media, change who I am, or lose the ability to express the strong beliefs I hold about the political turmoil this country finds itself in.

“My decision has been to continue to criticise the current UK government for what it has done to the country which I love – and I’m not prepared to stop. I was brought up to fight for what I believe in, and I will carry on.

“Consequently I have now breached the new guidelines and BBC Wales management have decided I must leave. We each must make our decisions.”

She said she was sad to leave “wonderful friends” at Radio Wales and wished her listeners “all the love in the world”, adding: “But, for now, another interesting chapter begins.”

Gary Lineker caused turmoil within the BBC this year when he refused to apologise for tweets about the language used by the home secretary, Suella Braverman, to describe asylum seekers. The BBC’s director general, Tim Davies, suspended Lineker, only to reinstate him after a staff rebellion.

The guidelines state that presenters on flagship shows must not endorse or attack a political party, criticise the character of individual politicians in the UK, or take up an official role in campaigning groups.

Lineker last week questioned the home secretary’s decision to label a pro-Palestine march planned for Armistice Day as a “hate march”. Organisers have said they will not go past the Cenotaph, while the Metropolitan police said protest groups are not planning to march on Remembrance Sunday.

Braverman wrote on X that it was “unacceptable to desecrate Armistice Day with a hate march through London”. In response, Lineker wrote: “Marching and calling for a ceasefire and peace so that more innocent children don’t get killed is not really the definition of a hate march.”

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

And so, the bureaucratic machine purges itself of someone with a backbone and an opinion.
    No doubt to be replaced by someone more... compliant.
    And on we go.

Comment

Originally posted by Hade View Post
      And so, the bureaucratic machine purges itself of someone with a backbone and an opinion.
      No doubt to be replaced by someone more... compliant.
      And on we go.
      Ahh but unless the opinion matches the vocal complainers it’s not allowed
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

She definitely used challenging language but the problems exist. It would be funny if Ms Braverman is mentioned in the same sentence as Enoch Powell in future history books.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Another over-privilege media luvvie who thinks being isolated from money worries and being famous for an ability to count higher than 20 equates to having a right to lecture the rest of us. She got binned for failing to follow Auntie's latest revision to the social media policies. Glad to see the back of her - except we won't....

Sad thing about Braverman's comments is that she is actually right. She's likely to become the second politician since Edwina Curry to be sacked for telling the truth.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Another over-privilege media luvvie who thinks being isolated from money worries and being famous for an ability to count higher than 20 equates to having a right to lecture the rest of us. She got binned for failing to follow Auntie's latest revision to the social media policies. Glad to see the back of her - except we won't....

Sad thing about Braverman's comments is that she is actually right. She's likely to become the second politician since Edwina Curry to be sacked for telling the truth.
            Ah, OK, free speech for all*

*as long as it's the right thing they are saying.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ah, OK, free speech for all*

*as long as it's the right thing they are saying.
              Where did I say that? She broke the rules and got fired from a trivial job. I don't share her views or appreciate the inarticulate way she expresses them but nowhere did I say she shouldn't say them.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Where did I say that? She broke the rules and got fired from a trivial job. I don't share her views or appreciate the inarticulate way she expresses them but nowhere did I say she shouldn't say them.
                I think the issue is the words "Braverman". The person who wants to do tent clearance and is trying to meddle with a screwed up police force amongst other things...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I think the issue is the words "Braverman". The person who wants to do tent clearance and is trying to meddle with a screwed up police force amongst other things...
                  The police need meddling with. Their selective choice of who to prosecute and who to buy teas for is simply wrong.

As for tent city, the question is how many of those aren't actually homeless. I do agree that lumping them all as one - itinerants, part-timers and genuine in-need people is a grossly unfair act.

So 50/50 for Braverman at the moment...

(There is also a line of thought that she is deliberately provoking a sacking to improv her chances at the next leadership challenge - which will be shortly after Sir Keir ascends to the throne...)
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Deleted. Not worth it.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X