• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn: Blaze of glory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn: Blaze of glory

Apart from the occasional 'IR35' post, my LinkedIn posts are carefully 'neutral' and based around 'GizzaJob' type posts.

Lost my tulip today re: anti-Semitism and policing response and posted a bit of a rant.

Until tomorrow....I 'work' (NCOTBAC anymore) in the middle of 'policing'.

30 minutes......agency telling me to remove my post!

To be fair, I've removed all info in my profile and in the post which identified agency, consultancy or client; don't want to upset anyone until the last invoice is in .

Unfortunately if it is linked to your real name even though they may be 30 of you on linkedin because the agency knows you put the post up, you still need to remove the post (until you no longer work with them).

Free speech has consequences.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's not just current engagement, what about future ones?

Posting anything political/religious/negative/aggressive on Linkedin will only ever harm you for absolutely no gain.

Just sign up to twitter or reddit and rant to your heart's content.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Unfortunately if it is linked to your real name even though they may be 30 of you on linkedin because the agency knows you put the post up, you still need to remove the post (until you no longer work with them).

Nah....agency were ok with my 'de-clienting'; agency rep even agreed with what I posted, just objected to a single, 3 word phrase I used. As of tomorrow I'll probably delete my entire LinkedIn profile, not sure yet.

Comment

I was reading LinkedIn this morning and there was a pimp complaining that he got too many applications from people that didn't quite match the job profile exactly.

One assumes it is all of those "must have 20 years of finance experience and write real-time Python" jobs where people have never worked at NASA or starred in sleeping Beauty and want to earn £30k.

I wanted to post "Well give us some feedback why our rainbow mane is not just the right shade of purple, feckwit or just acknowledge our existence".

Same with Political posts just laugh & move on!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            I was reading LinkedIn this morning and there was a pimp complaining that he got too many applications from people that didn't quite match the job profile exactly.

One assumes it is all of those "must have 20 years of finance experience and write real-time Python" jobs where people have never worked at NASA or starred in sleeping Beauty and want to earn £30k.

I wanted to post "Well give us some feedback why our rainbow mane is not just the right shade of purple, feckwit or just acknowledge our existence".

Same with Political posts just laugh & move on!
            Then in the same breath.

'Harvard research shows that women are less likely to apply for roles they do not 100% match, we are true believes in equality, so if you don't match the role 100% still give it a go gurlfiend!'

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
              Lost my tulip today re: anti-Semitism and policing response and posted a bit of a rant.
              Big mistake. Ranting on public forums, particularly professional ones is a seriously bad idea for many reasons as you've found out. Never do it, ever.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Indeed. Free Speech does not mean it's free of consequences. Also free speech is only free in the right places. It's not a carte blanch to post what you want where to you want. You are free to say what you want on protected topics but expect it to be removed/curtailed in areas dedicated to certain topics etc. That's not censorship, just a level of appropriateness for the topic/audience.

Just sign up to twitter or reddit and rant to your heart's content.
              Better still don't. Look at people get cancelled for saying stuff many years ago that is now out of date and unacceptable today. Rant to your partner/friend face to face and leave it at that. If it's online there is always a chance it will come back and bite you how ever right you think it might be at the time.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 6 November 2023, 15:57.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Then in the same breath.

'Harvard research shows that women are less likely to apply for roles they do not 100% match, we are true believes in equality, so if you don't match the role 100% still give it a go gurlfiend!'
                If any of the jobs I have had ever matched the 'requirements' set up by "Human Remains" I would have been shocked.

I always believe if they were going to be realistic most adverts would begin.

Applicants named "Mick (Crocodile) Dundee" will be given preference as you will be up to your arse in Alligators from day one, though anyone who can spend the day walking through the swamp of stupidity without going postal, are welcome to the job!

Pay - abysmal.
                Promotion - limited unless you kiss ass.
                Working conditions - variable.

Get in there girlfriend!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Then in the same breath.

That only applies in bull markets. In bear markets everyone has to be a 100% match (or at least you got to blag being a 100% match)

Comment

Working...
                  X