• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Slow Can You Go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

A mate was a bus driver you should hear his opinions on pedestrians, now he drives 40 tonners again.

They are getting worse since the highway code change. They turn look you in the eyes and wonder why you can't physically stop.
    Then he is failing to anticipate a hazard and drives too fast.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

This ^^^^^^
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

Thinking that pedestrians are foolish & suicidal stepping out 3 feet in front of a multi ton bus does not suggest that in any way. It shows he is highly aware of hazards and drives accordingly. One of the reasons he drives trucks again is because he sees less really stupid pedestrians where he drives.

I can assure you plenty of pedestrians do that to other drivers round here, Frequently from behind parked vehicles and at night while dressed as ninjas.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

This ^^^^^^
          have you ever driven anything heavier than a mobility scooter around town?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

have you ever driven anything heavier than a mobility scooter around town?
            yes. 7.5 Ton.
            And no I've never come close to hitting anyone/thing. I pay attention to hazards.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

yes. 7.5 Ton.
              And no I've never come close to hitting anyone/thing. I pay attention to hazards.
              So half the weight of a bus.

Have you ever cursed the hazards that are too stupid to recognise physics trumps a sense of entitlement? Most sensible people have.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I can see accident rates going up because you have to check the speedo more frequently in a 20 mph area to make sure you're not exceeding the limit. To reduce traffic speed, surely some evil speed bumps would be a far better method?
                This is why my car got written off last Friday (before the national drop to 20mph but I was on a road which somehow got reduced a while ago).

Not the only reason, but I 'hit' an unexpected 20mph zone and lost my sense of road position and hit a parked car! Recovery driver said he's been picking up 2 to 3 cars a week in exactly the same spot since the 20mph sign had been put in.

And I nearly wiped out a traffic bollard last night. Coming into a roundabout (from a national speed limit road) there was a new 20mph sign a new 30pgh sign and the existing national speed limit sign. I was so focused on the signs I lost my road position concentration for a second and nearly swiped the road furniture. Luckily it was late and the road was quiet or could have had nasty results. One small roundabout; 3 speed limits!

...thinking about it....maybe I'm just a tulip driver?

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

This is why my car got written off last Friday (before the national drop to 20mph but I was on a road which somehow got reduced a while ago).

Not the only reason, but I 'hit' an unexpected 20mph zone and lost my sense of road position and hit a parked car! Recovery driver said he's been picking up 2 to 3 cars a week in exactly the same spot since the 20mph sign had been put in.

And I nearly wiped out a traffic bollard last night. Coming into a roundabout (from a national speed limit road) there was a new 20mph sign a new 30pgh sign and the existing national speed limit sign. I was so focused on the signs I lost my road position concentration for a second and nearly swiped the road furniture. Luckily it was late and the road was quiet or could have had nasty results. One small roundabout; 3 speed limits!

...thinking about it....maybe I'm just a tulip driver?
                  I hope you sue the owner of the parked car.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Tourism will take a hit too, with people heading down to Somerset and beyond instead.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Tourism will take a hit too, with people heading down to Somerset and beyond instead.

Will taxi fares go up to cover increased journey time.
                      Will they need more NHS transport, school buses, community transport etc (these won't be in the extra 2 mins window) or will people at the first pickup have to get up at midnight?
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X