• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gnome Watch!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome Watch!

I wonder if this will become a stereotype...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sh-police-warn

There are plenty of very sensible and pretty conventional crime prevention tips on North Wales police’s website, from making sure windows are secure to planting prickly hedges on boundaries to deter thieves.

But this week officers issued some more unusual advice: keep an eye out for the cuddly Christmas gnomes that have begun appearing in front gardens.

Police believe the heavily bearded soft toys are being left not as thoughtful if out of season gifts but by burglars who are trying to test whether homes are empty.

If the gnome is not moved, burglars work on the basis that the householder is probably not around and their home is a decent target.

The gnomes began appearing on 1 September when two men said to be carrying Royal Mail-style bags were spotted in Broughton, Flintshire. They were reportedly looking at properties and placing items into residents’ gardens, including gnomes. The sightings were flagged up on the north Wales community alert page.

Officers have now posted on the police’s South Flintshire Facebook page explaining what may be going on. “We are aware of a report of individuals in the Broughton area leaving Christmas gnomes in residential front gardens. This type of behaviour is sometimes used as a ‘calling card’ to see if the gnome is collected by the resident,” they said. “If not, the property is likely to be empty and could be an easy target for burglaries. We would advise residents to be vigilant and ensure your home is secure.”

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Should entitle it "Gonk Action"?

Associate of mine in my teens used to nick Gnomes and take them to other gardens for holiday then send postcards home.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This place must have been broken into many many times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3044...6656?entry=ttu
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        This place must have been broken into many many times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3044...6656?entry=ttu
        Friends of ours have a similar looking garden.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I thought this was going to be about people using garden gnomes to hide security cameras

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I thought this was going to be about people using garden gnomes to hide security cameras
            Or in my case: Achtung! Minen!
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
            X