• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England’s rivers at risk as Michael Gove rips up rules on new housing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    this is bollocks though.
    It won't change anything cos the lack of new builds isn't caused by environmental regulation. It's planning and nimbys. Neither of which are addressed here.

Gove had a plan for planning. But bottled it due to the government being weak despite an 80 seat majority
    Yes but that equates to 40 seats, given quite a few were a Corbyn gift (red wall) and the massive swings to the libs in the by-elections they have every right to back off a little.

On this issue I would like to see Lab get in and use the space in the Con seats to get stuff going in those areas too; there's loads of building in Wakefield, North East Leeds, West Hull & West Preston that I personally know of.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Yes but that equates to 40 seats, given quite a few were a Corbyn gift (red wall) and the massive swings to the libs in the by-elections they have every right to back off a little.

On this issue I would like to see Lab get in and use the space in the Con seats to get stuff going in those areas too; there's loads of building in Wakefield, North East Leeds, West Hull & West Preston that I personally know of.
      If a majority government cannot pass legislation then the argument for FTPT is dead.
      Shame the Libdems ****ed up their chance for PR.

I live in hope of Labour supporting PR in the near future. The unions already do.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If a majority government cannot pass legislation then the argument for FTPT is dead.

I live in hope of Labour supporting PR in the near future. The unions already do.
        Hmm, living under the thumb of a catastrophic SNP/Green alliance as I do, I would caution that one should be wary such electoral utopias.
        Last edited by wattaj; 30 August 2023, 15:31. Reason: Poor speillng.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Hmmm, have a look at Israel and see how PR works when a significant hardcore minority hold sway. Think now of how Farage would play to this, or momentum; because bet your bottom dollar the lib dems would disappear once a minority of people think a far right/left may have some real influence.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Hmm, living under the thumb of a catastrophic SNP/Green alliance as I do, I would caution that one should be wary such electoral utopias.
            utopias are just utopias.
            - Rarely live up to expectations
            - Just not done properly ( see communism, brexit, etc.)

PR was always slated as problematic due to minority government, alliances, etc. yest the LibCon coalition was effective as a government. I hated their politics but they provided effective, grown up government.
            I would have that over the current shambles every day.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

PR was always slated as problematic due to minority government, alliances, etc. yest the LibCon coalition was effective as a government. I hated their politics but they provided effective, grown up government.
              I would have that over the current shambles every day.
              Zombie governments don't last forever.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have you actually seen the results of the FPTP part of the last scottish election ? If it wasn't for PR, there would be next to no opposition MSPs.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Have you actually seen the results of the FPTP part of the last scottish (sic) election ? If it wasn't for PR, there would be next to no opposition MSPs.
                  I am not adverse to that... in the short term. Sometimes one has to put up with extremes to fully understand to true level of incompetence that wishful thinking and pixie dust can unleash upon the world.

How's that criminal investigation coming along? Have they found out why the party of government needed a camper van? Or a £100,000 loan from the CEO? Or if seats can be bought for cash donations?

The whiff of impropriety hangs about the SNP like a dog tulip stuck between the treads of a heavy boot.

Do you not feel just a little betrayed?

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

I am not adverse to that... in the short term. Sometimes one has to put up with extremes to fully understand to true level of incompetence that wishful thinking and pixie dust can unleash upon the world.

How's that criminal investigation coming along? Have they found out why the party of government needed a camper van? Or a £100,000 loan from the CEO? Or if seats can be bought for cash donations?

The whiff of impropriety hangs about the SNP like a dog tulip stuck between the treads of a heavy boot.

Do you not feel just a little betrayed?

It's the natural corollary of the electorate voting for a leader with a "nice" TV presence who promises them what they want to hear. Exactly the same thing happened when we got the coalition cock-up; Clegg did a bravura TV performance (in a debate he had no real reason to be in) and collected a load of votes. Like St Nicola, he then reneged on everything h had promised to deliver.

But since 95% of the country has zero interest in their government, it's something we will simply have to tolerate.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

In other news the RSPB is in trouble for calling certain government ministers liars. I can't think why the RSPB did that. How much does it cost to join?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66666435
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X