• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bangkok recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangkok recommendations

Off to Bangkok with HWMBO in October. Not been there before. Any recommendations for things to see/do and places to stay? Only have 5 nights there so are very unlikely to venture to other parts of Thailand on this trip.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Off to Bangkok with HWMBO in October. Not been there before. Any recommendations for things to see/do and places to stay? Only have 5 nights there so are very unlikely to venture to other parts of Thailand on this trip.
    One night is enough!

Bangkok, Oriental setting
    And the city don't know that the city is getting
    The creme de la creme of the chess world
    In a show with everything but Yul Brynner
    Time flies doesn't seem a minute
    Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
    All change don't you know that when you
    Play at this level there's no ordinary venue
    It's Iceland or the Philippines or Hastings or
    Or this place!
    One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
    The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
    You'll find a god in every golden cloister
    And if you're lucky then the god's a she
    I can feel an angel sliding up to me
    One town's very like another
    When your head's down over your pieces, brother
    It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity
    To be looking at the board, not looking at the city
    Whaddya mean?
    Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town
    Tea, girls, warm, sweet
    Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite
    Get thai'd, you're talking to a tourist
    Whose every move's among the purest
    I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
    One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
    Not much between despair and ecstasy
    One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
    Can't be too careful with your company
    I can feel the devil walking next to me
    Siam's gonna be the witness
    To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness
    This grips me more than would a
    Muddy old river or reclining Buddha
    And thank God I'm only watching the game controlling it
    I don't see you guys rating
    The kind of mate I'm contemplating
    I'd let you watch, I would invite you
    But the queens we use would not excite you
    So you better go back to your bars, your temples
    Your massage parlours
    One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
    The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
    You'll find a god in every golden cloister
    A little flesh, a little history
    I can feel an angel sliding up to me
    One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
    Not much between despair and ecstasy
    One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
    Can't be too careful with your company
    I can feel the devil walking next to me
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Think I'd just go to Brighton, much cheaper.

The Lady Boys of Bangkok Party Queens Tour 2023 - Brighton Fringe
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The city is insane, the drivers are mostly Buddhists and not afraid to die. The other rule is that there are traffic rules but only a weakling takes any notice of them...

However the buzz is incredible and the street food some of the best in the world (and I've done Singapore and KL); the trick is to head for the busiest stall. We did a half day city tour in a minibus for not much money and caught quite a few of the local sights (including a head and neck massage, a solid gold Buddha ten feet high, and the biggest recumbent Buddha in the world as well as a decent briefing on the city itself.

We also had a trip to the Floating Market which isn't quite as touristy as you might imagine. Just don't eat anything off a plate, they rinse them in the river water.

There are some dodgy bits, but get a decent guide book. It will also be hot and very humid so keep your water handy!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The Silver Temple
          A boat trip to a floating market

Or better still, have a word with the concierge of your hotel, bung him $50 and ask him nicely to sort you a driver and a tour for 2-3 days.

CM has the name of a bar (round the corner from the red-light district) we used to visit to drink beer, eat snacks and people watch.

We normally stay at the Rembrandt.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I love Thailand and have visited a few times and travelled a bit around the country. We're seriously thinking of spending a few months a year there during our winters once my youngest is off to uni in a few years.

Last time I was in Bangkok was 2015 so things have probably changed but we took the kids and some of the things we enjoyed included:

Observation deck at Sky Tower hotel (great views from 84th floor).
            Take a boat trip through the city.
            Lots of temples, the one with the giant golden Buddha is good (Wat Phra Chetuphon) although you eventually will get 'templed out'.
            Wandering around the Khao San Road backpacking area (brought back memories of me doing this in the early 90s) and you can try eating fried scorpion like my 11 year old did. Or get a great Thai foot massage (heaven!)

There are also some giant shopping malls which are worth popping into to see some of the amazing ranges of foods and luxury goods (endless supercar dealers etc).

Comment

Patpong was the "interesting" place to visit - but haven't been there for about 20 years
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patpong

Comment

Originally posted by marshall mathers View Post

Patpong was the "interesting" place to visit - but haven't been there for about 20 years
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patpong
                I thought ping pong was more of an attraction in Bangkok

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

I thought ping pong was more of an attraction in Bangkok
                  Ping pong in Patpong?

Comment

Working...
                  X