• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linkedin inbox of the week - Ok boomer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    How is a volunteer day a benefit?
    They do this at my client and it's taken seriously. Some people disappearing for a day or two at key times (granted not critical) so they do honour it.

I'd love to do it to be fair. Bit of a team day out, break from the norm and do something worthwhile. I must admit I wouldn't lose sleep if the client didn't offer this so hardly a deal breaker but I must admit I do like that my client does it.

In a world of disappearing benefits I can respect a client that still pushes these types of values.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

They do this at my client and it's taken seriously. Some people disappearing for a day or two at key times (granted not critical) so they do honour it.

I'd love to do it to be fair. Bit of a team day out, break from the norm and do something worthwhile. I must admit I wouldn't lose sleep if the client didn't offer this so hardly a deal breaker but I must admit I do like that my client does it.

In a world of disappearing benefits I can respect a client that still pushes these types of values.
      If they can afford to do it then they can afford to give additional annual leave...

Places i've worked that do it make a big song and dance out of it. Company branded t-shirts, lots of photos and local press.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

If they can afford to do it then they can afford to give additional annual leave...

Places i've worked that do it make a big song and dance out of it. Company branded t-shirts, lots of photos and local press.
        there be your answer. Its good for ratings.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

there be your answer. Its good for ratings.
          Becomes like the 'We pay for dinner if you're still in the office after 7pm' benefit that I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Maybe but an extra day doesn't look as beneficial as a load of blurb about charity. It's about motivation.
            In that case they could be doing it for the wrong reasons and isn't aimed as a benefit. None of that at our place, people just book a day, go do it and come back. I will add as well, everyone that I spoke to about really enjoyed their day and came back refreshed so can't fault it as a benefit TBH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Maybe but an extra day doesn't look as beneficial as a load of blurb about charity. It's about motivation.

In that case they could be doing it for the wrong reasons and isn't aimed as a benefit. None of that at our place, people just book a day, go do it and come back. I will add as well, everyone that I spoke to about really enjoyed their day and came back refreshed so can't fault it as a benefit TBH.
              TBF to them, this is predominately the big banks, they are very good with other volunteering. Things like Military reserve, magistrates, police/fire etc. Will more often than not give you additional leave to cover your commitments. Worked with a magistrate who got every other Wednesday off without effecting pay/holiday.

Comment

Working...
              X