• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debunking the Dunning-Kruger effect

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debunking the Dunning-Kruger effect

https://phys.org/news/2023-05-debunk...er-effect.html

The Dunning and Kruger experiment did find a real effect—most people think they are better than average. But according to my team's work, that is all Dunning and Kruger showed.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

There is some irony that lots of people will refer to the Dunning-Kruger effect without actually reading the paper. (I've never read it myself.) See:
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Dunning (smbc-comics.com)

Comment

A word that takes me back to the daily WSDL hell at my gig with Axa a few years ago. I'm going to have to go and Google it to remind myself of what it actually means...

Edit:
      Dunning is the process of methodically communicating with customers to ensure the collection of accounts receivable. Communications progress from gentle reminders to threatening letters and phone calls and more or less intimidating location visits as accounts become more overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gibson Troubadour View Post

A word that takes me back to the daily WSDL hell at my gig with Axa a few years ago. I'm going to have to go and Google it to remind myself of what it actually means...

Edit:
        as promoted by Dun&Brad street.

It is actually quite effective, the credit team with my help instigated at a large international it resulted in a few days less sales outstanding and loads of free cash.

The idea is to identify who is likely to avoid paying and make sure you are first in line for payment as you talk to the payees more than their spouse does.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

as promoted by Dun&Brad street.
          Well I never

Comment

"But it is mathematically impossible for most people to be better than average at a certain task."

This is not correct. It is very possible for most people to be better than average.

For example, most people have more than the average number of X chromosomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post

"But it is mathematically impossible for most people to be better than average at a certain task."

This is not correct. It is very possible for most people to be better than average.

For example, most people have more than the average number of X chromosomes.
              your example does not prove your theory

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                That depends how you define "average": mean or median. You can have most people above the mean (if there's a very low figure as an outlier), but you can't have most people above the median. (That's why median is used for pay gap analysis.)

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post

your example does not prove your theory
                  To disprove the statement that something is impossible I just need to provide one counter example, which I did.

Here is another.

Andy has an IQ of 80.
                  Bob has an IQ of 105.
                  Charles has an IQ of 105.
                  David has an IQ of 105.
                  Eric has an IQ of 105.

The average (mean) IQ is 100.

80% of the group have an IQ above the average.

Comment

Working...
                  X