• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now Netflix have upset the Egyptians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

What, like Anthony Hopkins in the 1981 BBC production?

Or Patrick Stewart?

However, I'll point out, as I did before, that Othello's ethnicity is part of the plot. That means you can change it if you want for artistic reasons, but normally you'd be expected to stay with the ethnicity. Where the ethnicity is historically inaccurate but has nothing to do with the story otherwise, you can have a Klingon in the role. It doesn't matter to the story.

Lovecraft's stories have been neglected because he was vicious racist. I'd love to see the Mountains of Madness with a black guy in the hero's role. Why? Because it would repudiate Lovecraft's revolting attitudes, but nonetheless celebrate the artistry of his imagination and story telling. Something that enriches all of humanity.
    Actually if we reversed Othello to occur in an African country with a white lead it could well work, . But merchant of Venice with Diane Abbott giving one drop would probably be a bit naff!

I really enjoyed Noughts + Crosses because it made me think how much was colour and how much was humanity, in truth it seems a lot of it is about a lack of humanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noughts_%2B_Crosses

Its more of Romeo & Juliet than Othello...

Are you saying its a good day to break a leg?

Series 3 of Picard is actually quite good!

Lovecraft was a man of his time the sentiments were common. Having seen the change in culture from god fearing to RAP fearing sometimes one wonders if he had a passable point in some cases. It is not race that upsets people it is culture.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      They actually don't know what Cleopatra looks like simply as the racial categories used today in the West weren't used by the Egyptians (or anyone else) at that time.

Oh and Egypt is in the continent of Africa...
      Actually, we have many depictions of Cleopatra in the historical record and know that she was of Greek ancestry. The Ancient Egyptians were not African at all, this is well known.

Comment

Cleopatra was a ginger haired Viking

Click image for larger version

Name:	d22b56458ced44516b5eac8a566c4cf0.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	4261598
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Lovecraft was a man of his time the sentiments were common.
          Even in his own time his views were considered extreme.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Cleopatra was a ginger haired Viking

Click image for larger version

Name:	d22b56458ced44516b5eac8a566c4cf0.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	4261598
            Well the Vikings did go everywhere....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...