• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I for one welcome our new grocer overlords

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for one welcome our new grocer overlords

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-300-jobs.html

Online grocer Ocado plans to shut its Hertfordshire warehouse - which handles a fifth of its customer orders - in a move impacting 2,300 jobs
    • Ocado has now started consultation with the 2,300 workers based at Hatfield

Online grocer Ocado has announced plans to shut its oldest distribution centre as it shifts towards robotic warehouses in a move that will affect around 2,300 workers.

The group said it will close the site in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, which accounts for about a fifth of its customer orders each week, later this year.

The orders will instead be shifted to a new state-of-the-art automated warehouse in Luton, which is due to open in 2023.
    apologies missed the important part.

Last edited by vetran; 25 April 2023, 13:21.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Because it's the oldest warehouse and it's cheaper to build new than refurbish

And you can't refurbish an operating warehouse so you build new and close down the old one.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Because it's the oldest warehouse and it's cheaper to build new than refurbish

And you can't refurbish an operating warehouse so you build new and close down the old one.
      Indeed. However the point is the new warehouse will be almost totally automated and 2300 people have lost their jobs.

oops I missed adding that point, I was waiting for an import that ended early, will update the post.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Indeed. However the point is the new warehouse will be almost totally automated and 2300 people have lost their jobs.
        Not to worry the government will let in an additional 2300 foreign migrant workers to make up for those job losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Not to worry the government will let in an additional 2300 foreign migrant workers to make up for those job losses.
          sadly that is not unrealistic

Comment

Working...
          X