• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you all using SIPPs now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well in a SIPP you are investing it rather than it sitting in a business bank account at 1%... unless your company owns shares (presumably it can?)
    Yes, my company owns shares. It’s a bit of a mix which is better - with the company the money is a bit more accessible and you can use profits to pay yourself a salary for example.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

I’m pretty sure you can go into a loss. Tesco don’t stop paying their staff pensions if they make a loss one year - so it should be the same for Yourco. I think there’s something vague about it being reasonable or something.

(but as I said before it’s not a great idea pay yourself a pension from your company anymore)
      Wouldn't be very tax efficient though, because if Tesco is paying staff employer pension contributions having made a loss, that money is coming from retained earnings from previous years which has already been taxed via corporation tax I think.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Wouldn't be very tax efficient though, because if Tesco is paying staff employer pension contributions having made a loss, that money is coming from retained earnings from previous years which has already been taxed via corporation tax I think.
        Yes it would since the nice people at HMRC give you back the corporation tax if you make a loss (and bigger pensions mean bigger losses).

But don’t do it because pretty soon you may find yourself on minimum wage and paying £15,000 a month into a SIPP!

Comment

Working...
        X