• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The caring party

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

Because his wife has non-dom status for tax evasion reasons but still lives at number 10 and he is the PM and should be setting an example.
    When was the last time you read a newspaper?
    Were you asleep when... "The Chancellor and his wife have been embroiled in a tax row after it was revealed Ms Murty doesn't pay UK taxes on her overseas income.

In a dramatic U-turn, less than 48 hours after her non-domicile status was revealed, Ms Murty volunteered to pay UK income tax on her worldwide income, despite not being required by law to do so.

She said she was aware that her tax arrangements did not seem compatible with "the British sense of fairness" in a statement released on Friday evening.

Ms Murty, who lives with the Chancellor at 11 Downing Street, said she doesn't want her tax status to be a "distraction" for her husband.

She will retain her Indian citizenship and her non-domicile status.

Ms Murty said it has become clear that "many do not feel it is compatible" with her husband's role as Chancellor of the Exchequer."
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

When was the last time you read a newspaper?
      Were you asleep when... "The Chancellor and his wife have been embroiled in a tax row after it was revealed Ms Murty doesn't pay UK taxes on her overseas income.

In a dramatic U-turn, less than 48 hours after her non-domicile status was revealed, Ms Murty volunteered to pay UK income tax on her worldwide income, despite not being required by law to do so.

She said she was aware that her tax arrangements did not seem compatible with "the British sense of fairness" in a statement released on Friday evening.

Ms Murty, who lives with the Chancellor at 11 Downing Street, said she doesn't want her tax status to be a "distraction" for her husband.

She will retain her Indian citizenship and her non-domicile status.

Ms Murty said it has become clear that "many do not feel it is compatible" with her husband's role as Chancellor of the Exchequer."
      OOOOOHHHH that's OK then - they got caught doing the dodgy and now they've "put it all straight"

Sure.... sure sure sure.... that's my vote secured then

Oh... nope... I'm not that stupid. I'd rather cut my face off with a blunt plastic spoon than vote for these narcissistic parasites

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's not a remote corner of North Yorkshire - it's a rather nice village outside Northallerton.
        Best let these people believe the north is that desolate wasteland we hear about, then they won't come up here.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

OOOOOHHHH that's OK then - they got caught doing the dodgy and now they've "put it all straight"
          No, she voluntarily pays the tax she is not legally required to.

Basically like a contractor deciding to take all their income as salary rather than dividends to appease the ignorant baying masses.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
            While millions of households are trying to limit their energy usage because they are struggling to pay their energy bills, we hear the Prime Minister is struggling to heat his newly built private swimming pool.
            So extra equipment has recently been installed in a remote part of North Yorkshire, to provide the extra capacity required from the National Grid to his constituency home.
            Apparently the cost for this work was picked up by the PM, so there has been no preferential treatment, we are told.
            This has occurred while council-run swimmimg baths, including one in his local area, are being forced to reduce their opening hours owing to increased energy costs.
            Are these billionaires really so blind as to the optics of their actions? This is a government run by and for the super-rich.
            https://www.theguardian.com/.../rishi-sunak-has...
            Do you have a car? I bet some people couldn't afford to run the same car.
            Do you own a house? I bet some people couldn't afford to own or run a similar house.
            Do you take holidays? Etc etc etc
            You see where this line of argument goes?

Comment

I fully expect that Rishi, his wife, extended family etc are taking full advantage of every tax minimising loophole that is legally allowed. I would expect that behaviour from anyone.

Whether it's morally acceptable or not is a different matter. I personally don't have an issue with it as long as those same tax minimising loopholes are available to everyone and the rules are enforced equally.

I don't think that telling him he has to live in a two-up two-down in Hull and gift everything he's earned to the NHS because he's very rich is morally acceptable either. Where's the incentive to get a good job, work hard, take advantage of the opportunities your parents (immigrant parents being of the more pushy sort) worked hard to make available to you?

Ultimately, if you don't like that tax minimising loopholes exist then vote in a party who will do away with them.

Complaining that he can afford to upgrade the electricity supply to heat his swimming pool just sounds like sour grapes and jealousy.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Complaining that he can afford to upgrade the electricity supply to heat his swimming pool just sounds like sour grapes and jealousy.
                Oh it 100% is - because I fully believe at this point that no matter how hard we work, no matter what we do - they will always make a new rule to stop anyone who is not in their circle from actually getting anywhere in life.

We do not live by the same rules as them.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  When he finds out he could heat it for free if he worked with Deep Green, he might question the value of his investment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64939558

https://www.deepgreen.energy/heat
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

When he finds out he could heat it for free if he worked with Deep Green, he might question the value of his investment.

I heard about that on the radio this morning. It's a great initiative.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

DKUATB
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X