• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update on JCB's pursuit of Hydrogen as their fuel of the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

All the previous discussion seemed to be about hydrogen for ICEs, and I'd forgotten about fuel cells.

I don't know much about fuel cells but presumably there's a reason why they're not currently in widespread use?
    Lack of hydrogen filling stations would be a goo limitation. That said, my motorhome has a refillable LPG tank and that is fairly similar in terms of storage and handling
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's one car. Sometime in the not so distant future there will be 3 or 4 outside a house.
      Maybe houses will be limited to one charging outlet
      Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Ok, you've an interview 175 miles from home, the interview lasts for an hour and you have to drive 175 miles home. Which car would you drive?
      That is an edge case. One coming idea is that for atypical journeys you would rent a vehicle suited to that task. I don't daily drive (or own) a van because twice a year I need to buy things that I can't fit in the car.
      Originally posted by malvolio View Post

A fuel cell is a catalysed reaction between hydrogen and oxygen (from the air) resulting in electricity and water. No burning required. No emissions created. A point that seems to be totally lost in the argument...
      There's no emissions burning hydrogen either, technically
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        There's no emissions burning hydrogen either, technically
        There is, but it's very low level from burning stuff in the air taken into the engine, and probably negligible in the real world.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

There is, but it's very low level from burning stuff in the air taken into the engine, and probably negligible in the real world.
          Did you miss the part in the original post where the "lean" burn keeps the temperature below the threshold where emissions are created? Thus the only output from the process is dry steam.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

As in crud in the air? Or non-O2 gaseous components getting involved in the reaction (nitrides/nitrates, etc?)
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Lack of hydrogen filling stations would be a goo limitation. That said, my motorhome has a refillable LPG tank and that is fairly similar in terms of storage and handling
              Only in terms that they are both a gas, hydrogens low weight and density are problematic. When a flight line tech we were constantly topping up the emergency O2 bottles and that's 8 times the size of hydrogen.

Gases - Densities (engineeringtoolbox.com)
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Only in terms that they are both a gas, hydrogens low weight and density are problematic. When a flight line tech we were constantly topping up the emergency O2 bottles and that's 8 times the size of hydrogen.

Gases - Densities (engineeringtoolbox.com)
                I did say similar. Temperatures are a lot different as well for example.

Another key factor is you can make H2 fairly simply, given clean water and electricity, compared to the fairly robust industrial production and other hardware needed to get LPG to a point where you can use it.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X