• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is it with our industry?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suity walks in, buggers things up, strives to find something to blame, gets booted. Rinse and repeat.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      since they have over 3 years experience in such and such a group of in vogue technologies have the temerity to call themselves "senior"
      Three years is easily enough time to become truly world class in any technology.

Comment

I saw similar to the OP 10 years ago.
        I decided to get out of IT for many of the reasons the OP cites and I was a lot happier in my new roles. about 80% pay and about 20% day rate.
        I know a lot of people who I worked with back in the day have done the same.
        My own opinion is that the industry has slipped somewhat and needs to rebuild from that and that agile is not the answer.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Asked GPT-3 to summarise, you are welcome.

The writer reflects on the pain caused by the industry's self-imposed doctrines of agile development, MVPs, and POCs, and the lack of regard for quality and the developer experience. The writer criticizes the use of JIRA and the concentration of power in the hands of product owners who lack technical expertise. The malaise of sloppy standards of requirements gathering, system design, and documentation has spread throughout the industry, and the ability to learn from mistakes and refactor is stifled in the name of velocity. The disconnection from end-users and the hiring of inexperienced developers who call themselves "senior" exacerbate the problem. The writer shares a personal experience of working on a project with lax security and hastily added features, abstracted away by JIRA tickets, and wonders why failed projects are not reported in the news.
          Strangely, I put the summary into GPT-3 and asked it to expand it to 1107 words in the first person. And it came back exactly with the OP.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Suity writes like Shakespeare!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              If you mean like a monkey banging on a keyboard trying to produce the works of Shakespeare then I would agree.

Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Will or Gordon from Nativity?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What's Jira?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    What's Jira?
                    Oh you lucky thing.

There are entire roles where you can just stylise Jira, create tickets and move them around for people.....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      What's Jira?
                      Its a modern ticket system Grandad.

You don't even have to punch a card to use it.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X