• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't eat tomatoes let them have asparagus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    How does Brexit prevent Tesco buying produce? Load of nonsense.
    Transport and port delays, red tape, reduced buying ability
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
      shouldn't this pish be in that subforum?
      Mmm where did I mention the B word?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Transport and port delays, red tape, reduced buying ability
        According to an importer in the rest of Europe their governments don't allow them to sell food at a loss.

So there isn't a shortage of fruit and veg it is because the British Supermarkets sell fruit and veg at a loss.

If you go to an independent shop e.g. farm shop, greengrocer then you can get tomatoes, cucumbers, etc but they will be more expensive than at a supermarket. So a cauliflower will be about £3 rather than about a £1.

Comment

loads of cucumbers in Tesco tonight but they seem to have gone up to £1 each from 50p last week. I am sure the farmers are seeing the extra money!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by some apparatchik
            Let them eat turnips.

Tumbrils anyone?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              loads of cucumbers in Tesco tonight but they seem to have gone up to £1 each from 50p last week. I am sure the farmers are seeing the extra money!
              Farmers in Morocco?

I've noticed if I go to supermarkets as within an hour of them opening they are fully stocked up. However the amount of stock they have in is much less than prior to 2022. This means that if I go from noon onwards things are likely to be out of stock until the next day or next two days depending on supermarket. Sainsburys, Waitrose, M&S, Lidl and Aldi are the next day. The rest are two days later.

Comment

Write a news story about the shortage of tomatoes and cucumbers in the UK in the style of a Daily Mail journalist

Shoppers across the UK are facing a crisis in the salad aisle, as a shortage of tomatoes and cucumbers hits supermarket shelves. The shortage has been blamed on a combination of factors, including extreme weather conditions and supply chain disruptions caused by Brexit.

Many supermarkets have been forced to ration supplies of these popular salad ingredients, with customers being limited to just a few items per visit. Some stores have even resorted to importing tomatoes and cucumbers from further afield, leading to increased prices for consumers.

The shortage has sparked outrage amongst some shoppers, who have accused supermarkets of profiteering from the crisis. Many have taken to social media to vent their frustration, with some calling for the government to intervene to resolve the issue.

Experts have warned that the shortage of tomatoes and cucumbers could have wider implications for the food industry, as other crops may also be affected by the extreme weather conditions. They have called for urgent action to be taken to address the issue, including greater investment in sustainable farming practices.

For now, however, it seems that shoppers will have to make do with limited supplies of these popular salad ingredients. With no immediate end in sight to the shortage, many will be hoping for a resolution to the crisis sooner rather than later.

Comment

I have been informed that there are no shortages in NI.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I have been informed that there are no shortages in NI.
                    I'm eating turnips.

I'm going to have turnip surprise later.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I'm eating turnips.

I'm going to have turnip surprise later.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FprtBH3XoAQpEfO?format=png&name=small.png
Views:	92
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	4253865
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X