• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Methodology and Methods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methodology and Methods

Am I a lone pedant when it comes to the use of the word methodology?
    I keep seeing methodology used where the word method would be more appropriate.

The definitions I learned many, many years ago were simply ...

Methods - strategies, tools, techniques
    Methodology - analysis of methods e.g. to justify the selection of a particular method

Nope. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Others include:

Using inferred when they mean implied.
    Saying "Could care less" when they mean "Couldn't care less".
    Pedofile when they mean pedorast.

I could go on ...
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I ground my teeth on that back in 2010. I had to just let it go for the sake of my dentist.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not a problem anymore. I need to Google to find out what any word means.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A methodology is simply a collection or sequence of methods applied to a problem. The thing with pedantry is that you’re placing a “kick me” on your back

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            A methodology is simply a collection or sequence of methods applied to a problem. The thing with pedantry is that you’re placing a “kick me” on your back
            This is why I prefer the term "Standards bearer"
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

A methodology such as Prince or COBIT implies a standard against which it can be measured to ensure you are (or aren't) conforming to its rules.

For example, ITIL is not a methodology but a Best Practice. You can't comply with ITIL (as in "ITIL Compliant") since there is no such standard*, but you can conform to it. Look at any of my many tender responses for ITIL implementations and it's always described as ITIL Conformant.

* Yes there is an ISO standard for Service Management, ISO 27001 and it successors, but that essentially describes a single implementation which will never meet the needs of any given single client environment.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                A methodology such as Prince or COBIT implies a standard against which it can be measured to ensure you are (or aren't) conforming to its rules.
                Interesting! I think that PRINCE is a method, not a methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  A methodology such as Prince or COBIT implies a standard against which it can be measured
                  I don't think a methodology implies that, in general. Comparison to a benchmark may or may not be part of a methodology. A methodology could involve no comparison at all. You can have a methodology for getting to Mars, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I don't think a methodology implies that, in general. Comparison to a benchmark may or may not be part of a methodology. A methodology could involve no comparison at all. You can have a methodology for getting to Mars, for example.
                    Yes, but it would have pass/fail criteria. Performing perfectly but ending up on Venus for example...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X