• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our Father\Mother\Parent (delete as appropiate) who art in heaven?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Still white though surely he would be light brown (olive) being Jewish brought up in the area?
    Nah he was black - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-53246221

(Unlike this effort there is actually a church in Oxford with very old stained glass windows which shows a black Jesus plus black and brown saints.)

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was having a discussion with a friend who is of recent African extraction, religion was mentioned and he described Christianity as "the white mans god" and I went "what?" it was across Africa 450 years before Europe
      Look what white men did to Christianity...
      For did not John Bale write: “For on a time when a Cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: ‘All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie.’”
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Nah he was black - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-53246221

(Unlike this effort there is actually a church in Oxford with very old stained glass windows which shows a black Jesus plus black and brown saints.)
        made I larf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3958241.stm

As light-hearted evidence that Jesus was black, it adds that he "called everybody 'brother', liked Gospel, and couldn't get a fair trial".
        the following makes sense.

"The hair was the easiest - there's a reference in Paul which says it's disgraceful for a man to wear long hair, so it looks pretty sure that people of that period had to have reasonably short hair. The traditional depictions of Jesus with long flowing golden hair are probably inaccurate."

Deciding on skin colour was more difficult, though. But the earliest depictions of Jews, which date from the 3rd Century, are - as far as can be determined - dark-skinned.

"We do seem to have a relatively dark skinned Jesus. In contemporary parlance I think the safest thing is to talk about Jesus as 'a man of colour'." This probably means olive-coloured, he says.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Look what white men did to Christianity...
          For did not John Bale write: “For on a time when a Cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: ‘All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie.’”
          oops he slipped up.

Comment

Wait until all these people moaning about it find out that Jesus was probably very dark skinned and a liberal and was born out of wedlock
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Wait until all these people moaning about it find out that Jesus was probably very dark skinned and a liberal and was born out of wedlock
              don't worry thanks to Sunday school I know Jesus wasn't Joseph's. Its obvious he wasn't white despite all the European art.

Seems that they were married (at 14 so Mary was a late bloomer 5 years after Islam)
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marria...ewish%20custom.

Comment

don't worry thanks to Sunday school I know Jesus wasn't Joseph's. Its obvious he wasn't white despite all the European art.
                Yeah I worked that out in infant school.

Blond person who worked as a carpenter in the sun in the Middle East.....

Comment

Yeah I worked that out in infant school.

Blond person who worked as a carpenter in the sun in the Middle East.....

Your infant school obviously had advanced sex education covering genetics. We had to wait for secondary school to learn about what happens.

Comment

Your infant school obviously had advanced sex education covering genetics. We had to wait for secondary school to learn about what happens.
                    Nah me and a mate worked it out together as we were both working out how to convince our parents to stop making us go to Sunday school. In the end what worked with me was pointing out how some of the elders were hypocrites. (Though obviously I didn't use that language.)

We did sex ed in junior school.

Comment

We did sex ed in junior school.
                      well that puts you a lot younger than me. We started in secondary school and it was still shocking.

Comment

Working...
                      X