• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Older contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older contractors

just wanted to poll the group on this. I've contracted for the last 16-17 years and plan to do this until I retire. I'm approaching 50 now but expecting I can retire around 60-62. I'm just wondering do the older contractors on here find it harder getting contracts as you get older? I realise the older you are the more experience you probably have so potentially more valuable than a younger candidate but do you find bias towards younger people?

Firstly it rather depends what you for a living. If you're selling consultancy, some kind of management or some kind of architecture then age is probably a bonus for the hirer since you have the necessary depth of experience (and probably some decent technical knowledge to support it). If you're selling coding then there is a balance between young (cheap, latest skills, enthusiasm) and old (expensive, probably not fully embedded in modern practices, inflexible). If you're in third line support they will probably wonder why. In any event you need to be able to understand and use modern languages and/or technology and/or modern (usually badly misunderstood) stuff like Agile and Cloud-as-a-Service.

So as always, the devil is in the detail.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sorry probably should have added that detail... I'm an IT project manager so realistically my skill set and experience increases over time which I'd assume makes more valuable/saleable to clients but just wondering if there is that perception that age is not a plus and if anyone has experienced this?

Comment

I am 50 and have no problem getting contracts although my skillset is very much in demand at the moment.

I work mainly for Investment Banks and there are very few permies over 50 - it is all contractors.

Comment

Even though you might be, just don't act like an , in the interview and your chances will be better.

The harder part might be getting the interview in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by MooTills View Post
            Sorry probably should have added that detail... I'm an IT project manager so realistically my skill set and experience increases over time which I'd assume makes more valuable/saleable to clients but just wondering if there is that perception that age is not a plus and if anyone has experienced this?
            I've over 50 and feel like I'm in the prime of my career. I'm more experience and better qualified than a vast number of my peers so never felt more confident in my contracting career. I'm not old and doddery, still passionate about what I do so age has very little to do with it IMO.

That said I've seen older bods coasting, couldn't be any less interested in what they are doing and yes they are gonna hit problems. That said I've seen the same of younger contractors as well so not really an age thing.

IMO it's about your attitude so as long as you get that over before some millennial hiring manager can write you off.

Come to one of the CUK xmas does. When you walk in it looks like day release from the local care home but you'll not find a group of people that are more dedicated and capable. Even when Nat is there.

EDIT: That said meeting TestMangler is an experience. First impression when you walk in would be he will need his xmas dinner blending and who's gonna feed him it but the minute he says something that impression will evaporate. Tip. Having a beer ready for him before saying hello works wonders.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 31 January 2023, 10:38.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              Even though you might be, just don't act like an , in the interview and your chances will be better.

The harder part might be getting the interview in the first place.
              Dye hair, tight trousers. Say cool instead of yes and insert 'like' at the end of every sentence.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Dye hair, tight trousers. Say cool instead of yes and insert 'like' at the end of every sentence.
                Cool makes you sound old. Use a regional variation. (Though you will be writing it more than saying it.)

Also using thumbs up is old. You are supposed to send a facial expression emoji.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Cool makes you sound old. Use a regional variation. (Though you will be writing it more than saying it.)

Also using thumbs up is old. You are supposed to send a facial expression emoji.
                  So a CV should be something like this?
                  MBA Business Studies ?
                  MSc Data analytics ?
                  two years MOD project management. ?
                  one year Barclays Bank
                  project shelved

Looking for rate increase in new contract
                  On the bench for three months

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

So a CV should be something like this?
                    MBA Business Studies ?
                    MSc Data analytics ?
                    two years MOD project management. ?
                    one year Barclays Bank
                    project shelved

Looking for rate increase in new contract
                    On the bench for three months

Add a link to your Tinder and Bumble profile too ... boom, the work floods in (although admittedly not all IT stuff)
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X