• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Cornish people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Cornish people

Ryanair flights to Cornwall will trigger second home surge, residents fear

Locals warn budget airline's new trips between Stansted and south west will attract commuters and push up already soaring house prices

For most tourist destinations, the arrival of budget airline flights heralds a welcome economic boost as hordes of cash rich holidaymakers descend on the region.

But Ryanair’s announcement that it is to start cheap flights to Cornwall has been met with dismay by those who fear it will deepen the county’s housing crisis by fuelling demand for second homes.

The Irish airline will fly from London Stansted to Newquay three times a week for as little as £29.99 starting from March 26.

The one hour 15 minute flight could mean as many as 600 passengers arrive each week in the south west of the country.

However, many Cornish people fear the service will make the coastal region within commutable reach for wealthy people from the south east eager to work from a home within the county’s picturesque seaside villages. (AtW’s comment - yeah, we can’t have that - legal owners choosing to use their property for WFH whilst having a nice view, no way )

Cath Navin, co-founder of First Not Second Homes, said the cheap and quick Ryanair flights would encourage people to “pop” to Cornwall, fueling demand for second homes.

“The introduction of budget flights to Cornwall is bound to increase demand for second homes,” the campaigner from St Erth said.

“People from London and the south east, who will almost certainly command a far greater wage than most people in Cornwall, will now be able to commute here cheaply and quickly.

“So, they will be in a good position to buy a second home, fuelling an increase in house prices, with housing stock yet again being removed from the reach of local people.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rge-residents/

Don't you have to arrive two hours before your flight if you use Stansted and have to get there in the first place?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Commuting on Ryanair.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

And don't you need a car to get around Cornwall?

Which means you have to leave a car parked at the airport.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most people living in the south east would have to fly to Stansted in the first place. There's one road that goes there and it's usually shut because the locals don't know how to drive. Normally I'd worry about upsetting said locals, but thankfully most can't read either .
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Most people living in the south east would have to fly to Stansted in the first place. There's one road that goes there and it's usually shut because the locals don't know how to drive. Normally I'd worry about upsetting said locals, but thankfully most can't read either .
            So true, I have to use the A120 every day, but at 05:40 it tends to be quiet.

Hmmm does that make me a local.....

I can't be as I can read !
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

My part of Essex has suffered the blight of gentrification and now you can't move for block paved driveways, leased Range Rovers and hot tubs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                My part of Essex has suffered the blight of gentrification and now you can't move for block paved driveways, leased Range Rovers and hot tubs.
                Where've you been since the 1980s?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Flying Emmets. The worst kind.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

So true, I have to use the A120 every day, but at 05:40 it tends to be quiet.

Hmmm does that make me a local.....

I can't be as I can read !
                    and not married to your cousin/brother?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X