• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC fines for errors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC fines for errors

There has been a a great deal of talk about how a certain Tory chairman has had to pay a large fine for an error
    Q. When HMRC gets things wrong and tried to hit somebody with a large IR35 bill and the loose, do HMRC have to pay anything for making a mistake ?

Nope

HMRC don't own a duty of care to tax payers.

This was tested in the Courts a while ago.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

HMRC don't do compensation payments if that is what you are after. They don't care if your feelings are hurt.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        HMRC don't do compensation payments if that is what you are after. They don't care if your feelings are hurt.
        Perhaps we need another Peasant's Revolt ? That last one resulted in the deaths of the Lord chancellor and Lord High Treasurer, something to do with high taxes

Comment

Originally posted by Bheleu View Post

Perhaps we need another Peasant's Revolt ? That last one resulted in the deaths of the Lord chancellor and Lord High Treasurer, something to do with high taxes
          Weren't said taxes on poles?

Makes all sorts of people irritated when they tax poles.

Makes the telephone lines all droopy.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Are you going to be the next Watt Tyler?
            (Hint: things didn't end well.)

Check out the word "Sedition" <-- this single word kept the colonies in check for years!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Are you going to be the next Watt Tyler?
              (Hint: things didn't end well.)

Check out the word "Sedition" <-- this single word kept the colonies in check for years!
              Sedition and seditious libel was abolished as an offence (unless you're a forriner) in 2009 as part of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009

Comment

You could follow Andrew Griffith around shouting and assaulting him if you want.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

GBNews quoted as total paid (including 30% fines) = £5m

I dear I forgot I had a few million.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    GBNews quoted as total paid (including 30% fines) = £5m

I dear I forgot I had a few million.
                    Talking of GB News, I see JRM has joined their ranks

Comment

Working...
                    X