• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Thinking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Thinking

If you are a sanctioned by the UK government, you can sue a British person who tells others why you are sanctioned in the first place in English Courts by permission of the UK Government.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/pri...k-libel-slapp/

The UK government helped the boss of Russia’s murderous mercenary army to circumvent its own sanctions and launch a targeted legal attack on a British journalist, openDemocracy can reveal.

Yevgeny Prigozhin is the founder of Wagner, a private army that the US government last week announced it would designate a “transnational criminal organisation”, allowing it to impose even tougher sanctions on the group. For years it has been accused of human rights abuses and war crimes in Ukraine and across the world in support of Putin’s regime.

Sanctions introduced in the UK and Europe in 2020 were supposed to prevent anyone from doing business with Prigozhin. He had also been sanctioned in the US in 2018.

But a vast cache of hacked emails shows that, under the leadership of Rishi Sunak, the UK Treasury issued special licences in 2021 to let the oligarch override sanctions and launch an aggressive legal campaign against a journalist in the London courts.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

So remind me - what is the difference between sanctioning an organisation and allowing an individual to pursue a court case...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      So remind me - what is the difference between sanctioning an organisation and allowing an individual to pursue a court case...?
      but he is a naughty man the slaver told me so, he doesn't deserve yuman rites...
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

but he is a naughty man the slaver told me so, he doesn't deserve yuman rites...
        Maybe you should read a post before commenting.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Maybe you should read a post before commenting.
          Maybe you are confusing an organisation being sanctioned and an individual having his right to trial removed.

Which one is acceptable?

Hopefully the judge will laugh him out of court on the evidence but the complainant has a right to a trial, any attempt by a country to remove that is bad.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Maybe you should read a post before commenting
            Nah. Too much effort.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Maybe you are confusing an organisation being sanctioned and an individual having his right to trial removed.
              Which one is acceptable?
              It was an individual who was sanctioned.

Hopefully the judge will laugh him out of court on the evidence but the complainant has a right to a trial, any attempt by a country to remove that is bad.
              You missed a few things:
              - This isn't a Guardian article
              - It is a civil case using libel laws.
              - England has poor libel laws and people from around the world use our libel laws for nefarious purposes. In this case it is the targeting of an individual journalist.
              - Banks operating in the UK actually obeyed sanction rules.

Comment

Working...
              X