• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

National Grid DFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with all us smart meter dodgers is that eventually they do catch up on you. Meters have a finite life span and eventually they have to be replaced, and they're going to be replaced with a smart meter.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The problem with all us smart meter dodgers is that eventually they do catch up on you. Meters have a finite life span and eventually they have to be replaced, and they're going to be replaced with a smart meter.
      Fortunately, older meters last many years. I just hope that by the time they get around to it, the 'smart' meter lives up to its name and as a product it is designed to be sustainable.

Mid C.20 meters lasted 40+ years, albeit with decreasing accuracy. I'd like to see 'smart' meters with a 50+ year life expectancy rather than the 10 years usually quoted.

Comment

I want mine when:
        a. I can change company and it won't be a dumb meter
        b. It won't be a version 1 one

In theory the last one will change in the next year.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I want mine when:
          a. I can change company and it won't be a dumb meter
          b. It won't be a version 1 one

In theory the last one will change in the next year.
          Got mine in late 2021 with Shell and then moved to octopus fine. It is a version 2 one though, didn't know they where still fitting version 1 still fitting.

I hate they are still 3G though so have a limited life span.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Fortunately, older meters last many years. I just hope that by the time they get around to it, the 'smart' meter lives up to its name and as a product it is designed to be sustainable.

Mid C.20 meters lasted 40+ years, albeit with decreasing accuracy. I'd like to see 'smart' meters with a 50+ year life expectancy rather than the 10 years usually quoted.
            Do point to electronic & power devices that are rated 10+ years without regular maintenance. Previous Employers used to install equipment valued in the millions that required annual maintenance their design life for batteries started at 5 years.

Even smoke alarms only last 10 years.

The mechanical stuff can last decades.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
              I hate they are still 3G though so have a limited life span.
              I only found out this week that 3G is being phased out in the next few years (at least by some providers), but I had thought Smart Meters used 2G?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I only found out this week that 3G is being phased out in the next few years (at least by some providers), but I had thought Smart Meters used 2G?
                Apparently SMET1 meters used the mobile network but SMET2 use a separate secure network to connect to the the DCC.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smar...-a-smart-meter

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  The mechanical stuff can last decades.
                  Aye. What a good idea to replace something that lasts decades with something that relies on sand and software for correct operation.

And charges for reactive power unlike the old electromechanical meter.

And can disconnect on command.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 25 January 2023, 16:47.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Apparently SMET1 meters used the mobile network but SMET2 use a separate secure network to connect to the the DCC.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/smar...-a-smart-meter
                    Which is another reason why I want a version 2 one.

Depending on your utility supplier they may lie to you and say you are getting a version 2, but send one of their contractors around to change your meter and install a version 1. So you are basically stuck with a dumb meter in a year or so.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Do point to electronic & power devices that are rated 10+ years without regular maintenance.
                      Domestic electromechanical meter installed in a previous house was 50+ years old. Design life was certainly over 10 years when installed.
                      After so many years the meter would almost certainly under-read, a secondary benefit :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X