• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: harmful and offensive language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

My daughter don't read the Wail, yet they've on occassion been confronted with a person dressing as a woman who had a penis and made no effort to be discreet, in the sports centre ladies' changing room. And on a university workshop week, she was mocked by a transwoman for not being in clothes and makeup and other stereotypical female attributes.

Having said that, I've mean transsexuals from time to time and the majority have just wanted to live a quiet life, didn't get too upset if misgendered accidentally, and had a general respect towards other people.
    I walk around half asleep most of the time, and only notice because of very odd fashion sense or because the voice doesn't match the look.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If people would just behave decently towards each other, the Wail would have nothing to feed their readers. I blame the transactivists.
    I also blame those involved in marketing of children's products. If children's toys and clothes where just that, then the mocking of people don't want to be stereotypical wouldn't happen.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They have a website for it and everything. Seems the wail was the first to report it and the slaver / Auntie haven't noticed as usual.

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/new...iative-website

This rewriting history with inaccuracies and looking for offence everywhere is tedious and in many cases counter productive. I actually preferred allow/deny list as they instantly make sense but some of these are just being argumentative and incorrect its like being at church - believe because we say so!

There is a discussion that needs to be had about how we help people transition and how they need to behave to make women feel comfortable in female only places etc. while doing so. One assumes there are sealed changing rooms, so use them until you have transitioned.

There is quite a bit of activism in the trans community, some of it is not really fair on people who are impacted by it, it does seem to be about shocking people in some cases.

Most people don't really care about what others do so long as they don't have a negative impact on their life. The events NAT recount seem to be negative, his daughter being subject to indecent exposure/flashing or bigoted attitudes aren't acceptable in my opinion.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What was that TV series where some aliens just spoke ak ak ak ak.. ? That would solve these problems.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I walk around half asleep most of the time, and only notice because of very odd fashion sense or because the voice doesn't match the look.

I also blame those involved in marketing of children's products. If children's toys and clothes where just that, then the mocking of people don't want to be stereotypical wouldn't happen.
          There is a lady with an Adams apple who works in Tesco's, well dressed and made up she looked completely female . when she first spoke to me I did a double take , sadly I don't think I managed to hid it but she was very helpful and friendly.

One lady works in a local charity store, we had a long chat as she is still living as a woman waiting for surgery, she actually started telling me , I was chatting about Stargate the movie and somehow the conversation drifted.

Both just seemed to be in the wrong body for them just as one of my childhood friends is gay, its just a fact.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

There was a site manager in one of the places who looked like a man in a frock. I don't know if he was trans, or he was just a man who liked to wear a dress. But he was certainly good at his job. Nobody cared really.

I don't know his preferred pronoun which is another phrase proscribed in Stamford's newspeak, on the grounds that it implies gender is a preference rather than a real thing. Which is weird as I know transwomen who prefer "they" etc. and others who prefer "she" etc.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
            X