• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying clothes online - beware fabricated photos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying clothes online - beware fabricated photos

(This occurred on eBay but it probably happens on Amazon too.)

My wife bought a pair of shorts and the colour, and other aspects, were nothing like the photo on eBay.

I took a closer look, and it's clear the photos were manipulated. The shorts were available in black, green and blue but the photos of the model wearing them were pixel-for-pixel identical apart from the colour of the shorts. The photos looked totally natural but obviously weren't.

This wasn't an isolated example either. It wasn't hard to find items of clothing, from other sellers, where you could overlay the photos and they were a perfect match apart from the colour of the fabric.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 19 December 2022, 12:05.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

This was being reported on back in 2016

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2379...ey-did-online/

The Sun ran the same story 3 years later:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/99...like-pictures/
    Last edited by ladymuck; 19 December 2022, 12:14.

Comment

yes but in these difficult times even contractors' wives are buying from ebay not Rodeo drive!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What gets me is how blatant it is. You'd think they'd at least start with different photos, not just manipulate the same shot over and over.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Where have you been hiding? This has been going on for bleeding years. As soon as cheap clothes from China became directly accessible by one platform or another this has gone on. In fact well before then even. I remember an article on this well before ebay on mail order wedding dresses and suits. Nice shiney catalogue and 2 months later something nothing like turns up.

It's blatent and widespread because people keep buying them.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I once bought a book that I thought was going to be a "coffee table" type book.

When it arrived, it was no more than a pamphlet the size of a postcard with black and white pics on really poor quality paper.

That was from Exchange and Mart so these kind of deceptions have been around a while.

Comment

There's actually something to be said for buying used (or new/unworn) items from private sellers off eBay. At least most of the time WYSIWYG.

Obviously not used underwear, unless that's your thing. Oh, and apparently, it mostly isn't women who buy used women's shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                (This occurred on eBay but it probably happens on Amazon too.)

My wife bought a pair of shorts and the colour, and other aspects, were nothing like the photo on eBay.

I took a closer look, and it's clear the photos were manipulated. The shorts were available in black, green and blue but the photos of the model wearing them were pixel-for-pixel identical apart from the colour of the shorts. The photos looked totally natural but obviously weren't.

This wasn't an isolated example either. It wasn't hard to find items of clothing, from other sellers, where you could overlay the photos and they were a perfect match apart from the colour of the fabric.
                I am looking for a full size car cover. The majority of photos show "extra large" covers fitting the entire car but when reading the spec it says something like 1.3m x 1.5m. I never go by pics since I was misled by "single women in your area are looking for men like you"
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I never go by pics since I was misled by "single women in your area are looking for men like you"
                  But they probably are. Problem is they are policewomen and are only looking for men like you in a professional capacity.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's like the time MF purchased a rubber suit and thought he was getting the bearded gent modelling it.

Comment

Working...
                    X