• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Xmas parties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Xmas parties

"Christmas party cancellations 'near Omicron level amid UK strikes'

Pubs and restaurants have suffered a collapse in Christmas party bookings due to next week’s UK rail strikes, Bloomberg reports.

Industry chiefs suggest the plunge is as bad as last year when cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 were surging, which hit hospitality firms in the run up to last Christmas.

Kate Nicholls, chief executive officer of the trade body UKHospitality, said businesses were reporting cancellation rates of as much as 30%, which could blow a £1.5 billion ($1.8 billion) black hole in revenues."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

I thought xmas parties were no longer de rigeur.
    I thought it was "appropriate drinks" these days?
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

No, my Christmas meal got canned last week.

I paid for my train tickets before the strike got called, so I'm hoping I can still travel to London but that is looking like a rather forlorn hope at the moment.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Definitely seems more muted this year, irrespective of impending train strikes.

I went to a recruiter's bash last week and numbers were significantly down on previous years. The organiser told me that many people couldn't be arsed coming if they weren't also happening to be working in the office that day. Got a client do next week and again, seems much more low key. Contractors were actually uninvited after originally being invited but one of the senior management interims has organised something although we'll be paying our own way.

Comment

Watching my client trying to organise their do this year and it's turning in to a proper mare with everyone dropping like flies. Many said no off the bat, constant stream of people dropping out. It's going to be around 6 people that all go out anyway. The perms get some money towards it so it's a very cheap do and normally a massive bash but it falling flat on it's face this year.

Certainly looks like it's a victim of the WFH/hybrid culture and will be the new norm which is a shame IMO.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Watching my client trying to organise their do this year and it's turning in to a proper mare with everyone dropping like flies. Many said no off the bat, constant stream of people dropping out. It's going to be around 6 people that all go out anyway. The perms get some money towards it so it's a very cheap do and normally a massive bash but it falling flat on it's face this year.

Certainly looks like it's a victim of the WFH/hybrid culture and will be the new norm which is a shame IMO.
            Have you considered the alternative explanation, no one wants to spend time with you if they don't have to?
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Has Christmas lunch this week with client (inside IR35 so I don't care), came home hungry. What a f@@@ing waste of time

Comment

We have an all day (well till early afternoon) meeting then off to the Pub, its going to be reasonably well attended, however we all are based at home but the Director has a healthy credit card at the bar.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Have you considered the alternative explanation, no one wants to spend time with you if they don't have to?
                  I'm not going . I'm a contractor innit.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

ClientCo's do was yesterday. At least one person went and they have a sore head today.

I didn't go.

Comment

Working...
                    X